How does a 1 year old catch chicken pox?

If your going to be mean, please don't answer. All of this is new to me. Thanks in advance .
It may not be chicken pox, from the description someone told me it might be. I have scheduled a ped appt for this afternoon. But anyway... he hasn't been anywhere since last weekend we went on vacation. We spent the whole week at home afterwards. Friday he had a slight fever, nothing big. Saturday, my DH had him all day, I didn't see him. DH said he noticed he had one or two bumps but didn't think anything of it. Yesterday I noticed the small red bumps on his stomach, chest and face in the morning and they almost doubled in qty the next diaper change.
If we haven't been around other children, how did he get it? Could he have gotten it on vacation but it not show up until now?

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 11:08 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• From an infected child or the vaccine (which mine didn't get until 18 months). IF a child at the grocery store was close enough to sneeze on yoru child, or coughed on the buggy before you put your kid in, sort of thing. Germs have a way of getting around! :)

Must viruses have an incubation period where the child has the disease and may even be contagious and yet show no symptoms. It's possibe your child caught it on vacation and is now showing symptioms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on May. 18, 2009

• The average incubation period for chicken pox is about 2 weeks, it can be up to 21 days though. Children who have been exposed are contagious before they break out with the pox. That is why it goes through schools like wildfire..or used to anyway. Kids don't wash hands well and are contantly touching their eyes,nose and mouths. A cough or sneeze within 6 feet of your child and there ya go. If you child has had the vaccine the good news is he will likely have a significantly lighter case. If it is chicken pox remember to treat generously for itch. If they scratch the pox it can spread..and it can leave scars.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:37 AM on May. 18, 2009

• If LO has had the vaccine within the last couple weeks he could have gotten it from that. You or DH could have carried it home and the incuabtion period for CP is about 14-21 days so he could have picked the virus up 21 days ago and just now starting to show signs. I would also make sure that anyone you have been around in the last week or 2 knows they may be exposed if he is diagnosed with CP.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Thanks everyone. I have a 2 year old also. But I haven't seen anything with her as of yet. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'll ask the ped when we go about her getting them.
    Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 12:08 PM on May. 18, 2009

• The varicella vaccine is a live vaccine that sheds, so if he was around anyone who was recently vaccinated with that (or MMR, also live) he could catch it from that, or just some passerby, who knows! Hope he feels better. You should up his Vitamin A intake, and Vitamin C & D, those will all help whether it's chickenpox or whatever:) Hope he feels better soon!
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 1:22 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I never had CP as a child but as an adult attended a party of about 30 people. In that mix of people was apparently a child who hadn't yet actually broken out in a rash. To the best of my knowledge, I never even got that close to him. Two weeks later, I had CP! If your 1 yr old has it, I'll bet your 2 yr old will get it as well. Good luck!
    Anonymous