im a stepmom and my step daughter is 12 is she to young to date?

she says all the kids in her class are dating and calling her a loser because she's not dating should i let her?

babyb1

Asked by babyb1 at 11:41 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yes, she is too young. If you are firm and consistant and tell her not until she is at least 28 (Joking!!)16 (set your own age) and stick to that. She will respect you in the long run. Right now she is trying to see how much she can get away with with you. Be firm. That's the key. Do not let her wear you down, as much as she will try. No one is dating at 12 and you know that. You have to let her know you are the boss, not a friend.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:43 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Is she mature for her age and do you trust her judgement? I know my 14 yr. old sister 's first date was a group date with other kids. She went out for first time @ 14 to a mall. It should be in a public place, not his house- his parents could not be home. In fact they usually meet up with friends at movies, bowling, etc.
    pamom222

Answer by pamom222 at 11:45 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I have a 12 yr old son and he's not "dating". I went to a party for his class Sat eve and they do "go out". I saw a couple girls and boys sitting together but none of them are dating. That really shouldn't start until driving age. I told my son that if he wanted to go to a movie with a girl that I would take them and go along. I don't think their ready to be "alone". Tell her she can see her friend but you will be along. And he has to be her age.. That's what I would do..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:48 AM on May. 18, 2009

• no

Answer by admckenzie at 11:49 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Sadly there are 12 year olds that are dating, however I don't think a 12 year old has any business dating. It is ok for them to do group outings, movies, etc.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:49 AM on May. 18, 2009

• What do they consider "dating"? Like, really goin out on a date or having a lil boyfriend that comes 2 ur house for supper occasionally? My dd is 11. When she had a bf, that's all they did. Came over for supper. Went w/us (as a family) bowling or 2 a movie or whatever. They asked about goin on a group date 2 the movies but I wouldn't allow that unless a parent was going. My sd is 16... She went 2 prom last wkend. That was exciting & scary all rolled n2 one! Gl
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 11:50 AM on May. 18, 2009

• She's definitely too young. Young sexual activity is far more out and about in preteens and young teens than older. Kids lie and say its' a group thing and leave and go off. Teach her responsibliity and roll play with pressure from a guy on sexual advances plus drugs and drinking. Driving too. After she's aged more in her mind emotionally and can clearly show spontaneously and easily how to handle advances of those kinds of peer pressure then she's old enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Yes. Too young. My step daughter is 15 and has a boyfriend. They don't date. They are just 'together' in school which means they probably hold hands and eat together at lunch. But they don't go anywhere together ...heck ..he doesn't even call here for her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Ask her if there's actually someone she WANTS to date, or if she just wants to be like everyone else? Get her talking about her feelings - you might find out that she's not really interested in dating so much as fitting in.
    guitarlove

Answer by guitarlove at 12:14 PM on May. 18, 2009

• For a serious relationship, yes. You should tell her to grow a set and tell them to piss off and tell them that she doesnt want their STD's thats why she doesnt date the loser boys that go to the school. lol For a cute little fling, I think its okay, as long as nothing happens. My neice is 10 and she has a kinda boyfriend..he likes her, and brings her flowers..thats about it haha
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 12:36 PM on May. 18, 2009