How do you keep grocery costs DOWN?

Food just seems to go up and up in price. We are a family of 5. What kind of food can I buy in bulk that's healthy, tasty, and cheap to stretch our money further?

I don't usually clip coupons because I only find coupons for things we don't use...lol.

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 11:54 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Try discount stores, you can buy canned goods at aldies, save a lot, even the dollar stores sell them for cheaper than the stores. Grow veggies if you can. If you find it on sale and have the room for it stock up on it. Use in store coupons and look online for deals. Try shopping on double coupon days and ask your local stores about meat sales and things. You can always get a sams club member ship, or a bulk store in your area like BJ"S or whatever.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:57 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I stopped buying soda, and junk food. and I saved almost $100 every week
    Anonymous

• I use coupons. I buy certain things from BJs (diapers and chicken nuggets are the main 2 things). I try to only buy things we NEED each week, unless there is a super good sale. I watch the ads too, I usually go to 2 local stores each weekend but its saves money! I also buy canned things at aldis, they are just as good as the expensive ones!!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 12:02 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I like dented can stores and buying off brand foods.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 12:03 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I use coupons too. I am going to the commissary later and have over $30 in coupons from the newspaper and online. I also use a food saver which allows me to buy meat and stuff in bulk and vacuum seal it by portions. With my husband gone, I know we cannot go through a package of chicken breasts of pork chops so I would seal two at a time or chop up a chicken breast and use it later for fajitas or soup. The food saver works great for perishable bulk items because you can separate it into just enough for meals. I also shop around. If I see something on sale in the paper at Kroger or Food Lion, I will get it from there, especially if it's a buy one get one free.. Even better if I have coupon for it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:06 PM on May. 18, 2009

• We buy in bulk, hit the farmers markets, use coupons and I cook from scratch.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:12 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I buy only stuff that is half price...
    and I try to use my coupons..

So if something is half price and we use it alot...I will buy two..

Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:23 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I stock up on things like canned goods, rice, and frozen food as well. Cut out junk food, pop, and convience foods like frozen meals etc. I plant a garden every year and that goes a long way. I also can jam, apple pie filling, apple sauce. I freeze veggies. Then we enjoy them all winter long. I don't use many coupons unless it is for something I actually need. Most of the time they are good deals but are for things you would not ordinarally buy. That can be a money waster. Try farmers markets when in season, they are way cheaper than the grocery stores.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:45 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I have a family of 5 too and we use coupons, I use cloth diapers (saves TONS of money), and when we buy from bulk bins, we buy things like pasta, seasoned breadcrumbs, salt, sugar, spices, honey, beans, dry soups, and other dry foods because the cost per lb. is way less expensive than packaged items.

The BEST thing to also do is shop at different stores. I usually feel so stupid because my DF likes to shop at Winco where things are generally cheaper and then I find the same thing at a Safeway where it is on SALE and where I have a club card and coupons for extra savings. My DF hates shopping with a passion, so he likes to shop at one store.

When I make my shopping list, I do it by food group and misc. items. It makes it quick and easy to shop by section, and lowers your need to get extra items. I also use natural cleaning supplies like vinegar and baking soda, which help keep cleaning product costs down as well
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 12:48 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I know you said you don't clip coupons, but there are some coupons for things you may need on www.smartsource.com and www.pgesaver.com - these websites are the same as the inserts you'd find in your newspaper, and sometimes I hit the jackpot on items that I get all of the time like lunch meat, cheese, and other items that can add up.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 12:53 PM on May. 18, 2009