Why do some Christians think we are lying?

It seems that a few Christians (not all...and not even the majority) think that anyone who is not Christian, or doesn't practice it "right" is in denial or lying. For example, I'm a Satanist and don't believe in Satan. I am told I'm lying about this. Atheists are often told they are "denying God's love"...which would mean they believe in him, which they don't. Sometimes Wiccans are told they worship the Devil, even though they say they don't. There's so many other examples...

So what's the deal here? Why can't you just accept what someone says is there belief? Is it so hard for you to understand that you can't believe it's true? Or do you just think anyone who doesn't follow the bible must be a potential liar? What is it?

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 11:57 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I assume this question was asked seriously and in need of a answer. No answer that I give will satisfy you though. Having said that.
    The bible says if you deny Jesus , then He will deny you to His Father on Judgement Day.. harsh yes to those who do not understand His love .
    When you deny the truth then you live a lie.
    Satan is a liar himself and will place lies within the mind of the people whether they realise it or not . Yes he will entice a Satanist to believe he isnt real... just one of his tactics, he does the same for the athiest to believe God doesnt exist. These are his tools to get as many as he can to go with him to hell forever. Yes some of you think its hogwash.. again his lies.
    Anyone who does not believe God who is GOOD is not on his side.. they are believers of the devil whether they realise it or not, believe it or not. There is GOOD & EVIL nothing in between. God is GOOD Satan is EVIL . Cont.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:08 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I remember some one else saying in another post something about how if some one Loves something (like cheese) and their live revolves/hinges upon it, it is just unconceivable for them to understand how other people could not like cheese or in fact hate cheese. Hey, did you say that now that I think about it?

really I was just going to go with "Because we are moral less heathens that don't know ourselves as well as complete strangers that just met us do".
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 12:00 PM on May. 18, 2009

• why do christians think mormons arent and say were lying when we are? because they are naive and don't know better. it's not that hard to figure out why.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:06 PM on May. 18, 2009

• arrogance and hubris
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:11 PM on May. 18, 2009

• It's because they seem to think that they have found not only a truth, but a divine one at that. Mythic MMM nailed it. They cannot comprehend how your life cannot be made better if you have it too. Think of it as a drug, heroin for example. They have their first taste, they like it, they crave it, they want you to try it too so you can hallucinate the same way and experience crazy things like talking serpents. Fortunately my mom taught me to just say no and not cave in to peer pressure. She taught me to only do things that make sense to me. Yeah I know I am about to be bashed for comparing a sacred religion to a drug, but that is how they present themselves to me. Just My opinion. No need to go psycho on me.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:11 PM on May. 18, 2009

• First off, I love that you said this: "It seems that a few Christians (not all...and not even the majority) "! :-) Thanks for that!

Second, I think because a lot of Christians hold on to something I call "intentional ignorance". In other words, I think they know nothing about any other religion, and refuse to learn anything about them. They chose to live their lives believing they're right and could never EVER be wrong. They use the excuse of biblical principles to back them up, when really they're grasping at straws. They refuse to accept the remote possibility that someone that is not Christian could, just possibly, be happy.

I think this can also be chocked up to fear - people fear that which they don't understand.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 12:16 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I didn't make the cheese comment, MysticMMM, but that sounds about right.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 12:17 PM on May. 18, 2009

• 2autisticmom:  I think you hit the nail on the head!   Who was it that said "religion is the opiate of the masses"?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:21 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Well, at least I finally got an answer from the people I'm asking :) Anon....how do you come to that conclusion? And why do Christians seem to be the only ones who accuse others of this?
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 12:39 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Excellent analogy MythicMMM. Unfortunately, some people do not accept that others may be lactose intolerant.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 12:41 PM on May. 18, 2009