Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


my daughter who lives in CT. has a DCS case which she has to return to this month to see how she is doing with the kids. today she got served papers to appear in court for child support and it's her against the state, now she gets medicaid and food stamps from welfare and she does not get cash and she does not work. how is it that they are taking her for child support and she does not have a job and recieves help from the government? i thought if you are on assistance you don't have a job and you are the biological parent they can't take child support from you?

Answer Question

Asked by raunchy46 at 12:46 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 1 (-10 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • They can, and they probably will give her a certain time to get a job.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on May. 18, 2009

  • That's bs. They cannot force her to get a job and if she's on assistance they won't make her pay child support. It defeats the purpose of giving her assistance. If she had money to care for herself then she could care for others but since she can't then she's not about to be forced to get out (especially in this economy) and get a job. If she doesn't work and doesn't get cash assistance then how does she pay rent? If she lives with dad wouldn't she also live with the kids? She can't be made to support kids she's already supporting by being a sahm. I'm confused.

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:18 PM on May. 18, 2009

  • Sometimes the court mixes up the paperwork, i had a warrent for back support once even though it was my ex who owed me back support.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on May. 18, 2009

  • Since the state will show she owes child support, the IRS would hold any money that she might would have benefited from, like EIC or any future monies that the government begins to hand out.

    Answer by lifeasinoit at 1:35 PM on May. 19, 2009

  • here in fl. the only way she will b made to pay support is if the father has the child , or he has some issues on her, but if she is receiving benefits from the state, she needs to put his ass on child supporta nd save all her receipts good luck

    Answer by threetimesaroun at 2:04 PM on May. 19, 2009

  • the father may of filed for custody and the child support goes with it.

    Answer by lawla at 2:50 PM on May. 19, 2009

  • my hubby's ex doesnt get his childsupport the state takes it and her half of his income tax...

    Answer by rainmommy at 11:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • idk gl

    Answer by mekarevell at 12:50 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.