Gym Membership: Is this a good deal?

I signed up for a free trial membership at Bodyworks and have an appointment to meet with someone later this week. Today he called and told me that they have a deal ending today (of course) for a full family membership to all of the local facilities for $99 enrollment and $110 per month.

How does this deal compare to what you pay or what you have heard?

Thanks for any feedback!

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:03 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• We pay $130, but theres me, my husband and a 15yo son. The hubs and I have an upgraded membership b/c we get trainers to do reg. personal training. Every gym says they offer training, but most only have trainers walking around who will simply instruct you on the machine, and not set up a routine for you, that usually costs more. Also we have tanning included. We have an indoor track, a womans room, a theatre with treadmills, bikes, and elipitical, plus another area with these machines in the open, & a good size indoor pool. There are classes all day long, and it would include daycare.

So depending on what this gym has available, would depend on if its a good deal. Mainly its only a good deal if you can truly afford it.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 4:34 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Depends on where you live and the gyms that are located within driving distance to you. It is different all around the country. If you have a Bally's Total Fitness go there! It's way cheaper.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 1:05 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Um, well, I pay $19/month for my membership and $14 for my husband's. Enrollment was $69 for me and free for my husband. Plus, there's no contract and I can cancel at any time. That's a great deal to me.

But what you're being offered sounds decent enough. The question is though, how many people are in your family and will they all use the gym? If it's just you and your SO, then I don't think it's a good idea. If you need child care is it extra? Child care at my gym is $10/month, no matter how many times I take both my kids in there. Are there free classes that you can take? Look at everything included in your membership. Some gyms it only allows access to the gym but not to classes, child care, training, etc.
    Anonymous

• we have a family membership at the YMCA.... its normally $80 a month.. but they have breaks for people that make under 50k a year... which we qualify for, so we pay $52 a month... and that covers childcare while i work out....

i think thats a bit high but i dont know your area... my enrolement fee was $27.. and the pro-rated amount for the rest of the month was due that first day too....

2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 1:14 PM on May. 18, 2009

• i used to have a membership at cardinal fitness and it was $50 for enrollment and $19.95 a month.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 1:18 PM on May. 18, 2009

• If it is a good gym and you feel comfortable there and can afford it then go for it. I pay 70 a month for mine and it's high, but I love it.
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 2:29 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I go to GymX and for me and my husband plus kidzone (childcare at the gym) its around $60/mo
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 6:34 PM on May. 18, 2009

• It depends on what the gym has to offer. I would shop around before you commit because there is usually a contract.
    AlyssaRob1416

Answer by AlyssaRob1416 at 7:04 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I pay $33 a month. On a 3month contract.
    lovemylittle1

Answer by lovemylittle1 at 10:46 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Thanks for all the answers. We were able to get a bigger discount by paying for one year up front, so we took it. Between the different locations around town they offer pretty much everything our family could want plus a lot of extra stuff. I think our 12 yo will probably be spending a lot of time at the pool this summer. It may not be the best possible deal, but it's done.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:21 AM on May. 19, 2009