Am I going to have to do this?

I am sooo tired of waiting for my dh to repair the wall behind the toilet it.
The reason the torn wall behind the toilet is there is bc we had a leak somewhere and found it in that area. Now that the problem is sort of fixed we have this hole behind the toilet and everytime I see it it bothers me to where I need to do it. He works all of the time and when he is off that is the last thing he wants to do. Soooo
my question is CAN I do it I have no clue on what to do but feel like I can do this.
I mean how hard could it be. What do you ladies think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

• with the right supplies, you can do it.
    Anonymous

• Can you do what I did and put up a picture there. I had a hole in the bathroom wall behind the shower plumbing and I stuck the wallboard back on and then hung a mirror over it. I don't think a mirror would work that well over the toilet, but a picture might. If you want to fix it yourself you'd need something to fill the hole like wallboard or some other board, place it in - but it would need anchoring, so maybe a couple small pieces of wood attached by nails or screws to the inside of the hole, then the wallboard piece nailed to those. Then the wall repair tape, then the spackle ("mud") and you'd need a spreading tool. Then sand and repeat the spackling. Then after it is dry you can paint. If you want something removable for future plumbing work, then you wouldn't make it a permanent fix.

Answer by Bmat at 1:19 PM on May. 18, 2009

• How big are we talking. Do you need to put a new piece of sheetrock in or just a piece of sheet rock tape. If its less than a fist size, you get some sheet rock mud and tape and do it that way. If its bigger then youre going to need to cut a new piece of sheet rock and put it in the hole. I am so much like you too. I get tired of waiting so I do it myself, then he says...uh,, I was going to do that...LOL. SOmetimes I do a better job and sometimes it was worth waiting for...LOL...My dad was a contractor when I was growing up, so I know how to nail, sheetrock, paint, trim out walls...just about everything..
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:54 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I like Bmats idea...hanging a picture over the hole, until your hubby can fix it!

If you've never repaired a wall before, it CAN be rather labor intensive, and you will need to buy a bunch of supplies...which could end up being a little expensive. Before attempting to this yourself, I would look in your Yellow Pages or newspaper employment ads for Handyman Services and ask for a quote.

Handymen are often retired laborers in general or specific fields who are good at helpful "puttering around the house" jobs, and won't charge much more than buying the supplies and trying to figure it out yourself!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:31 PM on May. 18, 2009

• You can do anything you set your mind to!
    Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and see if they are offering a class on installing wallboard - they will teach you how to cut it, place it, tape it, mud it, sand it, and paint it. Easy as pie once you learn how to do the task.
    Home improvements stores, such as the ones I just listed, also have How-To books for Do-It-Yourselfer's.
    You mentioned that the pipe problem is "sort of" fixed. I would suggest you get a plumber in there to check it over to be 100% sure or you will be in for more trouble in the future.
    Remember - anything a man can do, women can do better! {wink}
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:38 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Go to your local Home Depot or Hardware store and ask "how to", you are sure to gain the needed information to make the repair yourself. Good Luck.
    slvrspoon98

Answer by slvrspoon98 at 8:12 AM on May. 19, 2009

• If all you need is sheetrock and paint then go for it! I'm sure you can find detailed instructions on HGTV. I've done tons of projects like this. Normally my husband installs the sheetrock and then it is up to me to tape, spackle, sand, prime and paint. But the installation, especially on small pieces, isn't all that hard.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:22 AM on May. 19, 2009