"1 minute!"

my son has this new thing that when i tell him to clean up his toys he says "1 minute!" in a bratty tone. how do i tell him that i mean NOW and not one minute?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 1:22 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just like that. Tell him your the mom, he's the child. You tell him what to do, he does not tell you what he's going to do. Pick a fitting punishment and give that punishment everytime he tells you one minute.

My son is three and tried doing that every once in a while. When he does, I tell him that I said to clean up, that he he needs to do it time now, not in one minute. Most days he drops his head and says ok and cleans. Every once in a while he will start to argue or tells me to hang on for a minute and then I tell him what i said above about me being the boss and he goes to the corner for 5 minutes.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 1:26 PM on May. 18, 2009

• SImply say "No, now" and make sure he gets started on cleanup.
    Anonymous

• I think he picked that up from you and your SO. That happend to a friend of mine. Her and her SO used to always say just a min. before they would start to do something and thats what he started to do. So they had to change things up so when the other asked them to do something they would say ok and get it done. That made their son start to do things as soon as he was told.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:34 PM on May. 18, 2009

• lmao my son says wait. but its more like weeat.. an he puts his finger up an everything. an if i say now calmly he goes hold on mommys almost done *even if he isn't doing anything* an then i have to say NOW GABE very stern for him to react. i think its because when he asks for something i say hold on or just a sec. so hes just learning. just stay on top of it.

youngmarriedmom

Answer by youngmarriedmom at 2:52 PM on May. 18, 2009

• How old is your son? My guess is he's simply repeating what he's heard somewhere along the line (although it's not totally out of the realm of possibility that he's being fresh).
    With my twins (age 2 1/2) I tell them to do something please and if they don't, I say it again without the please, and if they still don't, I physically go to them, put my hand over theirs, and "help" them do what it is I've asked.
    I also find that clean up goes much more smoothly if I hand them things and direct them to put it where it belongs.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 3:04 PM on May. 18, 2009