how can i get him to understand?

when i talk to my son about something he did yesterday or earlier that day he doesn't seem to understand what the past is. i'll say something like "did you have a good nap?" and he says "no night night!" like im going to put him back to bed or something. what's the best way to get him to understand?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 1:25 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The only thing that i can think of is trying to word things differently. Or ask him when it was about something big. Like if you went to the park that day then when your leaving ask if he had fun. Other than that i have no idea what could help. Hope you find something that works.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:31 PM on May. 18, 2009

• You don't say how old your son is but I'm going to assume he's no older than 2 given where you posted the question. My son is 2 and is just now starting to answer questions about what he did. Kids at this age still don't have a good concept of time so keep that in mind when asking questions. A couple of suggestions. First, avoid abstract concepts. He was asleep during his nap so he probably has no idea why you're asking him about it! Or, ask him the question then give him the answer. "Did you have a nice nap?. You took a nice long nap." Second, ask him about things he did recently. Given him a chance to answer. Then supply an answer or expand on the answer. you might also try giving him the reference point for the time. For example, "We went to the park this morning. You went on the swings. What else did you do?". He'll catch on as he starts to better understand the concept of time.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:09 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Alot of it is just practice like How are you? I am good. Just keep saying it an answering it if needed and he will get it.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:10 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I don't think children really begin to grasp any concept of time before they're 3 or so. Just keep talking about it and practice with him.

For example, when I get my twins up from their nap I say to them "Did you have a nice nap? You had a good, long nap". In the evening I say to their dad "Tell daddy what you did today" then I give them a minute (to see if they'll say anything at all close) then I say what we did that day.

I also don't tell them we're going anywhere until right before we're going because they get too excited and then don't understand if we're not going right away.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:59 PM on May. 18, 2009

• LOL He's not yet 2! He doesn't understand complete complicated sentences. A child that age understands words so if they hear that word they will use the response to the word they think is appropriate ( he must hate naps) Their brains just don't comprehend that yet.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:05 PM on May. 18, 2009