Can you paint over wallpaper?

The wallpaper in our bathroom is pretty stuck on there but I don't want to peel it then I will have a mess there are some little piece that look like they might want to come unglued but I think once I paint it dry it will turn out good.

I want a neutral color but I have these dark colored cabinets if I wanted to go white what would I have to do? Thanks Ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

• you can but it's not really a good idea:( good luck tho:)
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 1:29 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Yes you can. Just degloss it. you can get deglossing liquid at hardware store. Then use a really good primer like Kilz and do 2 coats of primer.
    Anonymous

• sounds like a lot of work, but if you could try to scrape some of the wallpaper off, smooth it out then paint over it! my best friend rented out her house and the tenant painted over her bathroom wallpaper (without asking first) and she was PISSED and it was very obvious it was once wallpaper and looked terrible. but that doesnt mean it'll be the same for you of course lol =)
    Anonymous

• You have to prime it. Wallpaper has a slick texture on it and the paint would peel right off. So if you want to do that, then you need to prime it wil Kilz or something like it. Personally I would take off the top layer of wall paper, then wet the backing down, then scrape it off with a scraper. Its work but I would want to paint on bare wall myself. Good luck with whatever you do.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:51 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Yes you can, but you have to use primer first.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 6:23 PM on May. 18, 2009

• If you are having a hard time getting the wallpaper removed use some type of steamer to steam the wallpaper... if you steam it, it will come off much easier!!! Painting over the wallpaper will not look so great! If you want it to look nice, go the extra mile and remove the paper! You can even pay a painter to come out and remove just the wallpaper! Just a thought! Good luck!!!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 7:34 PM on May. 18, 2009

• It IS a lot of work to take wallpaper off, but well worth the effort, especially in a damp room, like a bathroom. Peel off as much as you can by hand, then buy the wallpaper spray remover (it is thick and sticks to the wall without dripping down) let it soak in, and it will scrape right off. You need to do this so you can check the bare walls for any water or mildew damage that may be hiding beneath the wallpaper. Wallpaper tends to hide a lot of impurities, but paint will highlight them.
    The biggest problem with painting over wallpaper, aside from having to prime it's surface first, is that if the edges decide to curl up then you have a disgusting look in your bathroom.
    A job worth doing is worth doing well.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:29 AM on May. 19, 2009

• My father painted over wallpaper in my daughter's room and I was PISSED because I thought it wasn't going to look right, but you can never tell if you walk in her room and I say, guess which wall it was. He went to Home Depot and got certain kind of primer, like oil based or something, and did it twice, then painted 2 coats.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 1:19 PM on May. 19, 2009