breastmilk pumping bottle feeding--pain in breast?

i am having to pump my breast milk and bottle feed it to my almost 3 week old. things have been great, but all of a sudden this morning my left breast felt like it was damn electrocuted! ive started having sharp pains in my left breast like a knife since this morning. i can still get milk out but the let-down hurts more. i checked the BF books, but they dont cover exclusively pumping milk.. grr. has anyone else had this prob. it friggin hurts!!

honeybee429

Asked by honeybee429 at 1:45 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Health

• Try not to pump on that side as much. you don't want to do any damage and if there is pain then you want to do what you can to relieve it so I would pump less on that side.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:47 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I had something like that but I was just BFing. For me it started in my nipples and shot inwards. Is that waht it feels liek?
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:56 PM on May. 18, 2009

• yes!
    honeybee429

Answer by honeybee429 at 1:58 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Do the tips of your nipples turn white>> If so it is Vasospasms it can be mild to servere I had a mild to moderate and was so lucky it went away on its own!
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipple-blanching.html
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:16 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I did the same thing as you (pumped then bottle fed). I got several blocked milk ducts, and resulting infections, because the pump is not as efficient as the baby. My boobs turned red and it was so painful. Try putting a warm compress on it. But you need to see your doctor - I always needed antibiotics to make the infection go away. Yes...it was a pain in the breast!!
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 2:17 PM on May. 18, 2009