i know theres a lot of opinions on this, but....

i started my 3 and 1/2 month old son on cereal. i know everyone says to wait, but i felt he was ready, and he is doing very very well with it. im mixing 1 tablespoon of it with his formula to a very very watery consistency. ive just been doing it once a day. could i do it twice? any moms start this early and what was your experience. i plan on getting him on a schedule, where he could have cereal for breakfast and before bedtime, any ideas or suggestions?

walkthisway522

Asked by walkthisway522 at 2:12 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would not give to much rice cereal because it can constipate him. I started my son on it @ around 5mos?? I just usually give it to him @ breakfast w/some fruit & he has fruits/veggies @ other meals during the day w/breastmilk ( my son will be 8mos ). At your sons age I would just stick w/it once a day & if he starts having bowel issues ( my son does ) cut the rice cereal out completely. Stick w/the formula until he is ready for solids ( fruits/veggies ). good luck mama!
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 2:22 PM on May. 18, 2009

• i started my 2 month old on cereal. advised by my pedi becuase he wasnt gaining weight and was eating every half hour.... i would wait and jsut do it once a day for about a week and make sure he is still pooping good.. then make it thicker, and wait a week, then try for 2 times a day...

but thats jsut one idea!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 2:24 PM on May. 18, 2009

• It will probably constipate him. I would wait a couple months. Besides if u start solids too young it increases risk of obesity and diabetes.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:54 PM on May. 18, 2009

• i started my son on cereal when he was about 3 months...he doing great...my mom told me to do it cuz he was eatin 15 bottle a day...ouch... my pedi didnt know... i didnt know i was supposed to tell her...anyways, when his 4 month rolled around she said he was doin great :).....i feed him it at every feeding and he doin fine...he didnt get constipated tho...so maybe that is with some babies:) but if you dont feel confortable with it dont do it! do what you feel is right for your baby!! hes your son :) good luck and hope i helped!!
    kasiface

Answer by kasiface at 3:34 PM on May. 18, 2009