This early?

My one year old daughter is extremely feisty lately. For the past week or so, she throws crazy temper tantrums over things that used to be nothing. Its usually over nothing at all. She has always hated hearing no, but wow, this is a whole new level.

Also, I think she might be going through a growth spurt. Shes eating a lot more and took a 4 hour nap yesterday... Could the attitude be associated with that?

Anyhow, just wanted some input from moms with babies around her age, or who have experienced this...

Thanks...

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 2:15 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It could be a growth spurt and that will cause other issues as she can't really explain what is hurting and why. Just ignore her when she throws a fit, the more you pay attention the longer she will do it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:16 PM on May. 18, 2009

• At my son's one year check up he threw himself on the ground right when the doctor walked in, throwing a fit because I said no to something, and the doctor said it's perfectly normal and he would be worried if he didn't do that. It's a time of huge changes for them and they don't know yet how to communicate. Appetite comes and goes as well, and it will for awhile.
    Anonymous

• Kids grow when they sleep so if she's sleeping more than usual and nothing else seems to be going on, I'd say it's a growth spurt. The increase in appetite is also a sign.

The tantrums? Goes with the territory. Both of my twins started having tantrums around age one. I made sure they were safe and ignored them and it nipped it right in the bud. Didn't stop them completely but they've been fewer in between for sure.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:46 PM on May. 18, 2009

• The "terrible twos" usually start in the second year - which is the one she is in now. Some kids start late - after they turn 2 (and are in their third year) but most start when they are 1.

She is discovering that she is an independent person, with her own likes and dislikes, wants and needs - which are different than yours. The tantrums are in large part because she can't express herself to tell you what she wants and partly because you won't give her everything she demands.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:57 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Im not sure about the 4 hr naps cause mine usually takes a 2-3 hr nap but the month my son was to turn one he had his very first temper tantrum and I was a little sad cause he wasnt too plesent lol. From that point on they were a little more frequent but this is that age where the learning what mad means and are expressing them selfs so its totally normal.
    Anonymous