What do I do when my daughter thinks I am her taxi cab?

My almost 14 year old daughter thinks I am supposed to take her anywhere she wants to go. It doesn't dawn on her that I am tired sometimes and I might not have the gas. Her friends live a little to far away from us and their parents will never pick her up or drop her off. I have to take her and pick her up. I am so tired of all the running around. And oh yeah, she thinks she's gonna use my car when she gets her license. I told her she better get a job and save the money to get a car. What do you think? I don't mind doing for her, but It's getting a little old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Stop taking her. Tell her that the friends parents need to come and get her and bring her home. Its a two way street. Have her work to earn gas money now. She can help you clean for gas in the car or babysit to earn money. She is old enough to hear no and get over it. If your tired tell her no she can either get a ride from another parent or stay home.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:18 PM on May. 18, 2009

• my dd is 16 almost 17. I let my daughter talk on the phone more often in exchange for responsibility with chores and school, behavior. After school sometimes they'll walk to the library. She won't go to malls with them cause my rule is I have to be some where in the mall too. I don't like to feel intimated myself by huge groups of teens and won't let her do that. I won't let her be a part of a bad teen group that always grows at any mall so she's stuck with the kind of social life she has. My daughter can not get a permit or license unless she shows long term social and emotional responsibility. And I meet her friends and their parents, she's not allowed to drive with any friends until she emotionally mature and a good driver herself. You're the mom you're allowed to set limits and rules.
    Anonymous

• I'd stop taking her.......
    Anonymous

• Just say NO. You are the parent, and you have the right to refuse! As brailynsmama08 said, she is old enough to hear no & deal with it.
    Brailynsmama08 & PP Anon are also right on with the suggestion to make her earn it. Perhaps one chore = a one way trip. You could keep track on a chore chart. But it will also be at your discretion, as you should not have to provide ALL the transportation for her & her friends. Maybe you could talk to the other parents ahead of time, & agree that you take them somewhere if the other parent will pick them up (or something like that). You might also tell her that you need x hours notice ahead of time due to you being tired.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 2:37 PM on May. 18, 2009

• My mom has the coffee cup to prove she was my taxi driver.. My mom never complained of driving me places. Your only a teen so long & should enjoy it to your fullest! So she was happy I had places to go & friends to be with! She also took the time in the car as time to be with me.
    The time didnt bother her either. I remember going to movies & late night skating parties that were late at night or go into the early morning (2am). My mom also didnt mind going out of her way to take friends homes & sometimes that meant driving 30min out of our way.
    I think its part of being a mom.. As long as your kid is thankful.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:38 PM on May. 18, 2009

• 1st off set boundaries. We live in a little village that is quite a ways from other towns so my sons knew that if they wanted to see friends 5-10 miles away it was only on weekends (Saturday was the ONLY day because at 14 they didn't go out on Friday nights and Sundays are family days). My teens are 17 (2-1 is mine by birth and the other is a foster who has been with us for a year) and 18 and in the 11th grade & 12th grades and have their own cars. On weekdays they can go to school, school activities & work. They don't go out with friends Mon.-Thurs. & they can go out on Fri. or Sat. unless they work and Sundays are family days unless they all work on Sunday but have sat. night off and then Sat. night is family night. So, I would tell her to make plans for Saturday...two a month unless you are fine with 4 or as long as she has a ride with another parent.

Anonymous

• Say no and remind her of where her bicycle and helmet are. You can also buy her a bus pass.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:17 PM on May. 18, 2009

• (con't)

As far as driving go. She doesn't just need to get her license the minute she turns 16. Licenses are a privledge and not a right. My teens knew the rules. They had to be AT LEAST Juniors in high school (or in between their 10th & 11th grade years) to get their license, they have a 3.0GPA or better to get their licenses and they have to maintain it to keep their license, they HAVE a job to pay for car insurance & gas, they had to take driving school (paid for BY THEM) & they had to pay us 1/2 of what their car cost (we bought their cars and they made monthly payments to us) and the pink slip isn't theirs until the day they graduate from high school. My older 2 were 19 and out on their own before they got their licenses because they didn't meet the criteria and my younger 2 were 18 & almost 17 when they got theirs. They didn't get them when they turned 16. It wasn't a magic number. Give her rules for her license.
    Anonymous

• Uh... Bike?
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 3:24 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Tell her to stop being lazy, and tell her to tell her friends that too. Tell them to meet half way and walk like every other 14 year old EVERYWHERE. lol

My little brother tries that crap with me, and I laugh so hard in his face and tell him when I was his age I walked 8 miles and back a day most days when I was 14
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 5:22 PM on May. 18, 2009