Collecting Playboys....

My FIL & MIL are pretty religious. She spends alot of her time reading the bible. they pray daily. they go to church. they talk about sinning when someone has done something wrong...
........ Yet the FIL collects playboys. he gets them in the mail, they have dirty movies & MIL doesnt seemed phased by this at all.
This just really upsets me sometimes when they are talking about certain things.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, I'm a Christian woman, and I collect playboys . . . I guess it depends on your own personal interpretation of sin and right and wrong. For you, it might be wrong, but for them, there may not be anything wrong with it, see? I guess it goes back to the "He without sin . . ." analogy.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:27 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Playboy can be considered tasteful by many standards. I don't think they should be talking you about such personal things though.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 2:25 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Playboy even 'tasteful' is still pornography and exploits women. MIL and FIL are like most though..they graze through the bible, take what they want and leave the rest.
    Anonymous

• Why can't we look at picture of unclothed women as a celebration of the beauty of the female body.
    Why is it always exploitation.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 2:30 PM on May. 18, 2009

• they are not talking to me about such things. it is just known.. This weekend we where leaving their house & MIL went to check her mail we where in the car but DH said "looks like someone just got a playboy" ... You could tell it was a dirty magazine. lol.
    And the reason I know they have movies is bc they have one of those racks that you can stack alot of dvds on & one day I noticed a name that was CLEARLY a dirty movie.
    Anonymous

• Thank you fireball!
    OP I think you should consider why it bothers you - both the porn & the fact that your Christian in-laws enjoy it. That might be the most revealing thing answer.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:37 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I don't remember ever reading a commandment about Thou shalt be uptight and frustrated. Must've been on one of those broken tablets.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:38 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I have over 12,000 playboys, there tastful and artistic, not to mention I dont exactly porn is bad-I think an addiction to porn is bad, I think that only being able to have sex useing porn is bad, but I dont think the occasional porno movie is horrible
    Anonymous

• I totally understand about being annoyed by hypocrisy. Yet, I do feel they are entitled to thier beliefs. You think they pick & choose from the Bible but, they may see it differently. Unless, it is directly effecting you, I would keep your displeasure to yourself. If they are openly preaching against something about you then I'd address it in a non confrontational fashion. Bottom line, I don't really feel that it's your business, you may believe things about them but, you cannot read thier hearts nor do you know thier spiritual maturity. Just focus on your walk unless you can guide them in a mature way (which can't be done if you're judging them, kwim?) GL

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 3:06 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Oh, yes...I forgot...finding beauty in the female form is a sin...
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:27 PM on May. 18, 2009