Reincarnation, the details?

I posted a poll on this & decided it might make a good question. If you believe in reincarnation, or consider it a real possibility, how do you think it works? Do you believe that a higher power chooses our incarnations? Our own souls do? Or is it a totally random natural act with no thought or purpose? Do you believe souls can only incarnate in humans? Do you think the cycle of death & rebirth (samsara) is due to attachment & is something to be escaped? Or that there is a purpose (knowledge? experience? something else?) to be embraced? If so, is it something we will eventually trancend or an infinite cycle? Are there any specific philosophers, theologians, or others whose writings or teachings helped you come to this belief?
*on a side note, why isn't there spell check for these? if I missed any typos or misspellings I apologize.

nysa00

Asked by nysa00 at 2:24 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• hmmm. good questions.
    I do not believe that a higher power chooses our incarnations, it is something that could be considered a random natural act but it DOES have purpose. I do believe that human souls can only be incarnated into humans. I dont believe that it is something to be "escaped". The purpose is to learn all of lifes lessons. There are lessons to be learned in each life. It is an infinite cycle. Even after your soul has learned all of life's lessons you return to the energy from which you came. The "higher power". However, that does not mean that you are never reincarnated again for new opportunities arive as new souls are introduced and there are new life lessons to be learned.

To be honest. i have put a lot of thought and meditation into this topic, and still have yet to come to a peaceful conclusion for some of it. I need more thought on it in oder to understand it to the best of my physical ability.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:32 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I believe we choose our own incarnations. I have this belief that energies have to reside in a body that is big enough to hold their energy "size"(for lack of better term) so Im not sure humans could come back as a snail,etc. LOL

I think we are reincarnated until we have learned all the lessons we started out wanting to learn and then we merge with the universal energy/divine/soul(however you'd care to word it).

There are no particular philosophers or anything that helped me draw this belief although Im sure its eclectic in its base LOL. Ive seen similar thoughts in eastern religions as well as Gnostic(about learning lessons part),etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:04 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Okay, here goes. We are individualities who have been incarnating since Adam and Eve's time. With each life, we encounter opportunities to learn, to strengthen our self-mastery, to lift and support the people around us. There tends to be a century or more between earthly lives, time for the world to be in a new condition. The human body also evolves between, and offers new capacities to the incarnating person - clearer thinking gets traded for unlimited memory power, for instance. Angelic hierarchies assist us to prepare our upcoming incarnation - we have resolves about making amends for misdeeds, returning help someone gave to us, particular lessons or missions we wish to fulfill. We have definite moments and places we wish to be born, both for the gifts conferred by a specific horoscope and also to be in a position to carry out our destinies with particular people or with certain world events.
    After death, the (cont'd)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:45 PM on May. 18, 2009

• (cont'd) After death, the fruits of our life experiences are transformed into strengths and powers which accompany us into a new life.
    Unless we are in the spiritual world totally regressed and subconscious (from having atrophied our spiritual powers by living a life totally denying the spirit and always thinking only materialistic thoughts), then we do choose the body and parents and place we are born. Of course, this is getting royally messed up by the prevalence of abortion, and many people are forced to incarnate wherever a woman will give them a gateway, and then they have to improvise for the rest of their lives.
    Typically, a person trades off genders - man then woman. A comical thing is to see feminists outraged by horrible anti-woman practices created by men in a previous century, and to realize that unless they incarnated in Africa or Asia last time, those "horrible" men were probably THEM.
    You can imagine(cont'd)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:55 PM on May. 18, 2009

• You can imagine there are far more details - every reality has myriad details, whether you're examining the science of vision, digestion, weather, plant growth, child development, environment, ... whatever.

Seeing this under-pinning to the world gives a different and nourishing perspective for encountering every event in life: cherishing your children, respecting with awe every person you meet, disciplining one's reactions and emotions and lazinesses, jubilantly enjoying every moment and every thing, ... and feeling encouraged during awful and difficult times. It creates a deeper love for Christ - He it was Who GAVE us this ego-individuality which incarnates over and over. He it is Who works for our development of freedom, and by developing freedom becoming capable of a kind of love which the less free angels cannot contribute to the cosmos.

Yeah, reincarnation has many details. Knowing of it gives strength and peace !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:06 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Sorry, ran out of room.

This is, of course, what I believe.

Best wishes!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:07 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I'm just sitting here with popcorn enjoying the replies so far. Great questions!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 8:52 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Wow, you don't want to know much, do you? =)

I don't give humans THAT much importance in the scheme of things. In the scheme of things, we are relatively new. =)

To me, there is a God-Force. We all incarnate from the God-Force, therefore technically, we are all God.

I think the God-Force penetrates everything - the whole universe. It's been here since the universe was made. All things that live are animated by the God-Force - that's what makes them live - that is their soul. So for me, all things have a soul. I don't believe in all this complicated, 'well I am human and therefore superior so I have a soul and everything else does not' - I think things are built on a much simpler system. Since the first amoeba formed in the oceans of this earth, all things that live have had a soul. Soul for me equals life.

So I think the whole system is built on balance. The God-Force needs to maintain balance. What we do..
    TortisShell

Answer by TortisShell at 10:25 PM on May. 19, 2009

• ... in the physical world has an effect on the God-Force when we take it back, return to it.

I think we incarnate for a period of time, return to the God-Force with that identity - identity is a thing that is hard to give up - and work in service until we are finally willing to give up that identity. I think the guardian angels we have are our ancestors, looking out for their own. That's a proper cross-over, that these ethereal beings can return and "touch" us, put a bug in our ear, help us through a rough period of life. Then, over time, they fade and return to the God-Force and become one with it. An improper cross-over is those that refuse to give up their identity, and remain trapped. Ghosts, for lack of a better word. I think some things blend back into the God-Force much more quickly than others - animals and trees - because they don't have such a focus on identity like we do...
    TortisShell

Answer by TortisShell at 10:33 PM on May. 19, 2009

• ... anyway, once we fade and return properly back into the God-Force, then we can incarnate again. I think it depends on the individual, how long you are willing to retain your identity, or when you let it fade.
    Once you do fade, I think you blend back in, and new portions of the God-Force are meted out as new souls. I think that's why some people feel such a strong pull to certain things, where interests spring up - why they are so deeply interested in, say, both Egypt and Ireland, and trees. Because they have within them a little bit of all these things.
    Karma comes into it - what you did in this life will pass on to the next one - but it all gets mixed together. The whole God-Force is one entity, so physical manifestations of it work on different issues within it - to maintain the balance. To much good, too much evil - neither is a good thing - it has to stay balanced.
    Okay, that's enough. =)
    TortisShell

Answer by TortisShell at 10:42 PM on May. 19, 2009