Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What sort of things would I need for a civil case?

My neighbors shot my dog this morning, and she may die. I called the cops and was told that the neighbors claim that my dog was growling at them and their dog. Apparently the law states that you can use deadly force against an animal if you are scared its going to attack. My dog is the sweetest dog on earth and loves cats for heaven's sakes. She even adopted a litter of kittens once. All our friends/family know how nice she is. She happened to follow our stupid male dog who busted out of the fence and she is the one that got hurt. The vet even remarked that she'd never seen such a well mannered dog, especially for being in such pain. I think the neighbors are jackasses. There are loose dogs all over around here, but my dogs are bigger than most. We want to file a civil suit and I'm wondering what kinds of things would help our case?


Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • You are unlikely to win. It is a he said /she said thing to begin with. If they felt they were in danger the law is on their side. If someone other than you or them heard the dog growl it's even less like;y. Aside from that, your dog was probably in violation of leash laws at the time. It sucks how people can get away with stuff and the law winds up being on their side. Sorry about your dog.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on May. 18, 2009

  • Call an attorney, get statements from everyone who can vouch your dog was not a threat.

    Answer by elleinad at 2:29 PM on May. 18, 2009

  • All their information along with vet records, shot records and the bills for the dogs accident. Get witness statements to the demeanor of your dog. Go door to door and ask if anyone heard or saw anything and get statements. Get the police report as well.

    Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:30 PM on May. 18, 2009

  • call the local ASPCA office and see if they think you have a case. If so, ask them to refer you to a lawyer but if the law sided with the others then not sure what you will gain except an empty wallet. Lawyers aren't cheap

    Answer by admckenzie at 2:34 PM on May. 18, 2009

  • I am sorry!!!! How horrible!!!! Do you know if they are licensed for a gun? Prayers for your doggie. Sweet sweet girl. You have to go to your county courthouse and ask for trial help, give them a call. But you'll probably only be reimbursed for vet costs. I'm so sorry. Give your doggie a hug.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on May. 18, 2009

Next question in Just for Fun

Next question overall (Trying to Conceive)
Whats going on?