I bf and im ready to stop now :)

My son is over a yr. I dont know how i am going to stop. It wil psychologically be hard for me. I also feed him to sleep all the time. Does anyone have any suggestions for me on making this easier?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he takes a cup give him that before bed then lay him down. If you don't offer then he should stop wanting it over time. Cut down on the feedings starting with during the day. Do it at nap and bed only and then wean him off the morning and then the night feeding.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:35 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Well, does he shows signs of wanting to stop? What kind of other fluids does he drink during the day? Do you offer the breast or feed on demand? If you are used to offering it to him, you might try not offering it. If he seems hungry offer something else instead. It might satisfy him without using the breast. At least, that would be a place to start. It takes a while. Give yourself and your son some time. And dont feel rushed. You might also try pumping and putting the milk into a sippy cup instead (i would not introduce the bottle this late).
    I hope i've been helpful. Good luck.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:35 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I wouldnt let him take the cup to bed unless it only has water in it. Letting a child bring any fluid to bed other then water may cause bottle rot. Obviously that's not a problem with the breast, but it is a problem with any fluid in a cup other then water.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:37 PM on May. 18, 2009

• He eats table foods. The liquids other than breast milk are usualy water, apple juice and OJ. I do feed on demand, usually when he gets fussy and tugs on me.. : / He's over a yr and i feel that since he tugs on me that he is now understanding what I have and I always said b4 the day my son starts "asking" for bf'ing is when I should stop... what do you think? It seems also that he doesn't like drinking from cups and etc. I am worried he wont get enough fluids..
    Thank you ladies for your help.
    Anonymous

• Well, if you are truly starting to feel uncomfortable then you should certianly start to wean him. I would do it slow. You have time. If he tugs on your shirt offer other things instead, Water, juice, or milk (rice or soy if you dont feel comfortable with goat or cow) or pumped breastmilk. If he doesnt like drinking from cups you might try getting the cups that have built in straws. Does your child have a paci/binky (whatever your family calls it)? And i agree with the other lady about limiting it. Think about how often he breastfeeds. Say he feeds 5 imes a day (i'm just guessing). So, try getting rid of 1 or 2 of those feedings. Night times are always the hardest to break so do that last. Good luck!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:47 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Put the milk in those stage one sippy cups when he goes to bed, they have a real soft spout and measuring lines so you know how much he's getting, I think nubbie makes them.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 2:48 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Start giving him reg milk when he tugs at you and see how it does do it slowly so you dont get engorged
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:32 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I am wondering why you feel the need to stop breastfeeding. Did you know that the World Health Organization (uninfluenced by the formula and dairy industries) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months.
    Unless you are raising a baby cow, there is no reason to give a child cow milk.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:45 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Do you want to stop or do you feel like you should stop? I'm asking because you express a lot of doubt. Keep in mind that it does not have to be all or nothing. You could start to eliminate the daytime nursings and continue to nurse him to sleep at night. Lots of info on weaning (including info to help you decide if that is what you really want) at http://www.llli.org/NB/NBweaning.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:13 PM on May. 18, 2009

• If you want to stop, stop. Pure and simple. You've done an awesome job! He's getting nourishment from other sources, he's going to be just fine.
    Anonymous