how much is enough?

how much food and fluids should a 1 yr old be consumming?>

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we did 8-12 oz milk 6 oz juice and atleast 20oz water...

hope this helps
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 2:50 PM on May. 18, 2009

• A one year old needs 16-24 oz of whole milk each day (unless otherwise directed by your pediatrician).

Offer three meals and two snacks each day because her stomach is small and she's not going to eat three "big meals" each day. Choose a wide variety of foods from each of the food groups. It can often take several tries of a new food before it's accepted so hang in there.

I went by the 1cup rule. I tried to get a cup of fruits, veggies, proteins, grains/cereals in each day when my twins were that age.

You can also look at the Food Pyramid on line. They have a new program that lets you plan a meal plan based on your childs age, gender, weight, and activity level.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:51 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I've been told 16 to 24 ounces of milk tops (and that includes all dairy, not just milk) and 4 to 6 ounces of juice tops. Unlimited water.

And twinclubmom is right - www.mypyramid.gov is a great site for figuring out how many servings of what - and exactly what is a serving size for a 1 year old.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:59 PM on May. 18, 2009

• We were told 20-24oz of milk max. Water as they wanted it.

I offered them toddler size portions and if they wanted more, I gave them more. The general rule of thumb is a toddler portion is 1/4 of an adult portion.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:10 PM on May. 18, 2009

• 16-24 oz of dairy is all I know for sure, but you should offer a good portion of fruits and veggies at least twice a day and good portion of meat at least once a day as well as some cereal or grains at least once a day. Juice is not needed and they should have an unlimited supply of water. I always have a sippy of water available to mine all day everyday.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 7:25 PM on May. 18, 2009