Question for Pagans, Wiccans, Heathens, etc :)

Ok, so I have Pagan beliefs but, have never practiced it; read up on it when I was younger but, my family wouldn't have been ok with me having an altar or doing spells in thier home. I still have the same Pagan belies but, have never celebrated the Holidays or done a spell, etc. Is it ok to just jump in & do say "minor" spells for protection, guidance, & cleasing & gather items for my altar as I happen upon them? Should I study more before doing any spells or rituals & have a completed altar or is ok to gain knowledge form more "hands on" means in a more free formed way? I in no way take practicing lightly & mean no disrespect but, I'm just a go with the flow kind of gal & trying to figure out my next step. Also, I am decidely Pagan yet have not yet felt drawn yet to a specific pantheon on set "path", is that ok, too?

Any guidance & suggestions from the wonderful Pagans here is warmly welcomed!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The most important tool you need is located between your ears!

Second most important is in the middle of your chest...slightly left of center.

Third most important tools are at the end of your arms!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:24 PM on May. 18, 2009

• spells don't work b/c they're not real
    Anonymous

• Yes, its ok.
    I think if you read as you go and get some basic ideas on how to write spells and do them,etc thats even better.
    But doing things on your own and in your own way is fine. After all, this is an individual path and you have to do it how you feel it should be done otherwise the closeness to the divine and to your inner self wont be as strong.

And ignore the naysayers...they dont know anything about it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:58 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Study is always beneficial, the more varied the sources the better. But it is OK for you to do anything that feels right to you. Think very carefully about anything you do & make sure you word things just the way you want them to be. There is nothing wrong with jumping right in & feeling your way along your spiritual path, it will just be easier when you illuminate your path with knowledge.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:04 PM on May. 18, 2009

• #1 ignore Anon :48...spells are just as real as prayer...it's like backroads vs. the interstate. Same destination...different routes.

#2 Do whatever feels right to you...whatever you feel comfortable with. There is no "right" or "wrong". It'll come to you.

#3 There are many many Pagan groups here on CM (check out Pagan & Proud) where you can ask a million questions about anything and everything without being attacked by the hateful TROLLS that poison the Answers section.

Good Luck!

Blessed Be!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:08 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I'm the OP, I definitely will be reading online & in books (if only to find spells, rituals etc). So, I know I'll be gathering knowledge as I go, I just didn't want "mess up" LOL. I have so much respect for the Craft, anything I do will be well thought out, and worded speciffically (thanks nysa :)
    that's just my nature...are thier ANY must haves, or must do's, I should consider? Money is tight which is one of the factors limiting my choices (just the library & web for sources, & can't spend much $$$ on creating a sacred space, not a very private back yard, not much gas to spend on driving to the creek, etc.
    Anonymous

• Thanks MamaK!

~OP

Anonymous

• If it feels right to you then its right.

INTENT is the key to everything you do. If the intent is behind your actions, there is no wrong way or messing up.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:29 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I think you should follow your heart and do what you think is right! I would definitely find some good books on the subject to help you along - Scott Cunningham, Raymond Buckland, and Margot Adler were some authors that I loved when I was practicing. I also recommend"Book of Shadows" by Phyllis Curott. It's her journey into the magical path, and is a wonderful read for anyone, pagan or not.

Good luck with your path!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:03 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Just as many before me has said...

If it feels right and YOU feel it's the right time, then do it...
    But I recommend reading what you can get your hands on... ask questions all the time ...
    You do learn and retain information as you go, but don't be afraid to fall back on a book or your BOS or any other information you have...

Good Luck on your path
    Blessed Be

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:11 PM on May. 18, 2009