What do you do with a pregnant rabbit?

im about to go pick up a pregnant bunny from a friend that cant take care of her. What should i know before i do this?

masonsmommy921

Asked by masonsmommy921 at 3:25 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Pets

• ask a vet
    Anonymous

• Provide a wooden box with wood shavings so she has a place to prepare her nest. Keep food and water available at all times. If you have any additional questions feel free to send a message, I used to have a rabbit that I bred a few times.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 3:29 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Squeeze it.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 3:29 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Think of all the lucky rabbit feet you will get when the bunny hatches her lil ones!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:37 PM on May. 18, 2009

• She is right get her a box and private box also for the babys and straw if you can't get wood shavings. Make sure she has plenty of water and food.
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 3:39 PM on May. 18, 2009

• As SOON as the babies are done nursing you will NEED to separate ALL of them b/c they will start mating right away.....it would honestly be in the best interest to have the bunny spayed and they can abort the bunnies....I know that's harsh but what are you going to do with 1000 bunnies?? There are rescue place you can take them as soon as they are weaned if you would rather do that. I would, Im just giving options....and don't anyone BASH me for that but it's very hard to get bunnies under control They don't get the saying "do it like bunnies" for nothin....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:11 PM on May. 18, 2009

• dedicatedrider is right but I always used Hay with my rabbits....they gather it all up like birds do and make their nest. Rabbits also pull the fur from their chest to make the nest warm and soft so don't freak out when you see her do that. :) Also when the babies are born do NOT touch them or play with them until they are hopping out of the nest by themselves! You don't want your human smell on the baby bunny or the mommy will reject it and it will die.
    Yes provide plenty of food and water.

Also this site will help:
    http://www.pet-rabbit-care-information.com/pregnant-rabbit.htm

Good luck!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 9:42 PM on May. 18, 2009

• take it to a pet store. most pet stores will gladly accept them.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:57 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Throw her a baby shower!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 10:12 PM on May. 18, 2009

• matobe....DO NOT TAKE THEM TO A PET STORE.....THEY WILL CONTINUE TO BREED THEM AND THERE ARE SOOO MANY AT THE SHELTERS....THAT IS WHY PETSTORES ARE STILL IN BUSINESS CUZ OF CRAP LIKE THAT!!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:50 PM on May. 18, 2009