Do you always get put under when getting wisdom teeth pulled?

I'm so scared of being put under, I never have before in my life and I'm terrified, any words of advice?

MinnieMouse8

Asked by MinnieMouse8 at 3:30 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Health

• I didn't get put under. Just had a local. It's really not that bad. THe sounds is worse then the pain. Best of luck.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 3:32 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Not always, no.
    I was and had no problems. I just drifted off to sleep and then woke up when they were done.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:34 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I was when I got mine out, they had to be cut out, I didn't want to be awake :-D! My sister got hers pulled though and she didn't have to be put under :).
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 3:37 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I didn't get put under. My husband did. Perhaps you can find an oral surgeon who won't put you under.

Answer by Bmat at 3:40 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I got put under when I was 19. I also was put under when I had a molar pulled last year. I was traumatized by navy dentistry to the point where I could not be awake for the extraction. I don't physically think I could have handled the sound or the tools. However, in the navy, it was rare for someone to be put under. My neighbors just had theirs done and none were put under. Just numbed..But I am fearful of dentists to begin with.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:41 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I didnt get put under
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:46 PM on May. 18, 2009

• The docs gave me a pill to relax me then gas then an injection to put me under.....
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 9:35 PM on May. 18, 2009

• No, you don't. They mainly put kids under because it is harder for a kid to sit still to have oral surgery.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:23 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I just had all 4 of mine surgically removed about 3 months ago at the age of 23 and I was put under. It also was the first time I was put under and I was scared. I went in...they started my IV and the DR told me to tell him when I started feeling woozy and when it hit me (20 seconds later) all I got out was "i" and I was out. I woke up and they were done,..it took them about an hour. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I was a bit woozy the rest of the first day and the next 2 days my jaw hurt pretty bad. The worst thing is...it takes FOREVER to eat anything. Stock up on canned/jarred fruit coctail or any fruit of choice, water (I drank propel), and jello. That was all I ate the first 48 hours cause I couldnt really 'chew' anything. Now...3 months later....it was def worth the few days of discomfort. Good Luck!
    Vsoul0608

Answer by Vsoul0608 at 10:52 PM on May. 18, 2009

• After an attempted rape by a dentist when I was 16 I am very fearful of male dentists.
    Before then, when I had cavities drilled and filled, I could always feel the pain, no matter how much I was numbed because my nerve endings were more towards the surface.
    If I need dental service, I would prefer to be put under and my husband has promised to be in the room with me the whole time to make sure that no one tries to do anything to me other than work on my teeth.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:25 AM on May. 19, 2009