do you think this is rude or tacky? no bashing please

i am planning dd's first birthday party. dd doesn't need any clothes AT ALL; she doesn't need much of anything really. i need a new stroller for her, a new baby carrier, a ride-on toy (maybe even a wagon), & maybe a few small toys. these things are a little more expensive. do you think it would be tacky or rude to include something, with the invite, to the effect of: all we want is for you to be able to share this special day with us!!! please don't feel obligated to bring a gift. but, if you want to get something, gift cards would be best since kyrie has almost everything she needs.*** is that wrong? i just don't want people to spend (waste) money on things she doesn't need & won't use. any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. if you do think it is rude or tacky, please just say that. i really don't feel like being bashed. just looking for some advice/suggestions that are helpful. tia ladies!

kyriesmommy13

Asked by kyriesmommy13 at 3:41 PM on May. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• sounds good to me
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:42 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I think that sounds perfect :)
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:42 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Maybe register some where and include that in the invites? If nothing else people can see the types of things you are looking for.
    Anonymous

• I think if that is what you need then go for it. I would see where you want to buy whatever it is and ask for gift card from there
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:43 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Honestly, I would find it tacky if my son was to recieve and invite that stated that. A birthday party should be just that, a party for the child.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:46 PM on May. 18, 2009

• If you are fortunate enough not to need anything why not make the party a charity event where presents be donated to a children charity? People would want to buy something, why not let them and at he same time help some less fortunate souls? You seem to be doing great, I am sure you'll be able to provide those more expensive things for your child.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:47 PM on May. 18, 2009

• i'm not that well off, i'm disabled and pay for myself and my daughter. her father doesn't pay for much of anything for her. i was fortunate enough to have friends that gave me tons of clothing and other things. she needs more expensive items, that is why IF people are going to buy something a gift card would be best. i wouldn't ask people to buy those more expensive items, and she doesn't need clothing or other things.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 3:59 PM on May. 18, 2009

• It does sound sort of tacky to me to say to give you a gift card instead. I'd graciously accept any gift someone gave her, and if they leave the tags on it's not that hard to return.
    Anonymous

• I think asking for certain items or registering for a birthday party is very tacky. A friend of mine did that, and a lot of people, including myself, just didn't go.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 4:06 PM on May. 18, 2009

• it doesn't sound tacky or rude to me. I've had to do that with my daughter's birthday, and my own birthday, and i went to a wedding that on the wedding invites it talked about how they (college students) are both still living in dorms and how they do not need breadmakers and all that newlywed stuff, and how all they really want is gift cards. We didn't get them anything big at all, but a fancy picture frame. The groom was my hubby's high school friend. its better to tell someone what you need rather than getting a bunch of stuff you'll never need or wanted.
    zombie_mommy

Answer by zombie_mommy at 4:08 PM on May. 18, 2009