Is it the MOTHER'S responsibility to make sure a child has a relationship with the FATHER'S family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• My son has no relationship with his biological father or any of his family. He has a fantastic relationship with my husband and his family.

I feel no obligation to sperm donor or his family. He's the who took off, I didn't ban him from having a relationship. Its a big lose for all of them because because my son is the smart, sweetest little boy. They truely are missing out, but my thought in regards to the extented family is its too bad for them SD was such a loser and because of him they are missing out.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 3:51 PM on May. 18, 2009

• well no, but if hes not going to it would be nice if she did
    Anonymous

• no... my dh takes our dd to his mom's house every wknd, jsut the 2 of them, so she can be around his family too....
    my brother dosen't come around with his kids b/c his wife is a bitch & don't think my mom & dad are good enough & i think my brother should have the balls to stand up to his wife & tell her that the kids need to know his family too
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:44 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I take it you are divorced...

I would say that no, its not her responsibility, but she should do what is best for her kids, which would mean, encouraging a relationship with the child's family, whomever that may be.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:44 PM on May. 18, 2009

• no. its your responsiblity to make sur he has a rel. with you.

as for the fathers family..he should be taking care of that. if he is not and lacking and your kid misses them...you may have to step up and take the reins
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:45 PM on May. 18, 2009

• It is a mother's job to do what is best for her child. If that means continuing a relationship with the father's family so her child has those relatives she does that. Once we become moms it is not about us it is about our kids. My ex is a deadbeat and has nothing to do with my children. I am very close to his family even though I am remarried. I take my kids to their family gatherings and make sure my kids know all their family since their sperm donor won't.
    Anonymous

• It's the mother's responsibility to bring up child with or with father, and father should morally do same, to be respectful and kind. If the grandparents, aunts etc. on whose ever side of family is the same then there's a good relationship to grow with child. How inlaws treat the opposite parent of the child is a big view into how they'd treat child if in close contact ever. For the love of a child all should respect each parent's position if in the norm or close to it of society in general, that's how I judge my family and my husband's family.
    Anonymous

• No I don't feel it is the mothers responsibility...the fathers family is perfectly capable of making effort to have a part of the child's life even if the father don't. I would be nice of the mother to encourage a relationship w/the fathers family though b/c aside from any personal problems the mother may have w/the father or his family is irrelevant. good luck!
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 3:50 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Original poster:

I'm not married. But my SO feels that we should ALL go over and visit with his mother. But I feel that if he wants to take our ds over to see his grandma, SO should take him. I don't feel I need to go. Because I don't want to go, he won't take our ds over, and SO's mother won't come to our house. He says it's MY fault that ds and his grandmother don't have a relationship! That is why I'm asking this question: is it MY responsibility?
    Anonymous

• Yes, if the father isn't involved in the child's life and his family wants to be there. I do it for my child.
    Anonymous