Club Store Prices Food for thought

For those of you who shop at Club stores for food - When you factor in the cost of membership, how much food you throw away because you over bought the actual price per oz/piece, the time it takes to find parking, and to stand in line ( if you go on the weekends) Are you really paying less? Sure its convenient bigger sizes and all. Did you know that Kirkland Bottled water is the Niagara Bottled water you can get at the 99 cent store with no membership fee

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Food & Drink

• For my family of 5... we do not go on weekends, we own a deep freezer to store any extra food in we won't use right away, we actually pay attention to the unit price and only buy things that are actually cheaper at the Club store we have a membership in, not to mention they have a gas station there as well that is always at least 8 cents cheaper than surrounding gas stations, we also don't waste money on things like bottled water... taking into consideration all of those things I'd say for us it's a resounding YES we save money shopping there. In fact our yearly membership is payed off with the amount of money we save there in 1-2 months time. There are lots of ways to save, you just have to be smart about it and pay attention to things like that. I know many families that a membership would not truly be worth it for, but for ours and many, many others it sure is.
    Anonymous

• We share a membership with another family. I keep a notebook with prices when I shop, so I know what is and is not a bargain.
    For example I bought organic brown rice for about 1/3 of the grocery store price.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:12 PM on May. 18, 2009

• We rarely throw out anything because we have too much and when we shop on the weekends there aren't long lines. I may have one person in front of me. We are a family of five so buying in bulk helps. We also have a deep freezer. Never have a hard time finding a spot to park either, I'm not picky about how close I can get to the door, I can walk. So yes, for us it's worth it. I don't buy bottled water either.

Anonymous

• We shop in bulk and never have to throw anything away. I don't buy many perishable items there. I save a ton on diapers and wipes alone, shampoos, all kinds of stuff that doesn't spoil. We do buy huge bags of broccoli and asparagus, which never go bad because we love them!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:36 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I do weigh all that in, there are some things I know I can get cheaper on sale or with coupons at the grocery store and other things I get at Costco. Health and beauty items are usually way cheaper especially when I go with the Kirkland brand. I usually get cereal at Costco. I was getting milk there, but Kroger has had it for 1.99 a gallon. I have bought many furniture and clothing items at Costco. I don't buy books or movies there anymore, Amazon is way cheaper.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 9:34 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I don't throw the food away, I buy what I know will be eaten. I buy meat in bulk and freeze it in meal size portions. I buy breakfast foods that I know my son will eat and have never thrown anything away. I also buy gatorade for baseball and snacks for baseball and it is much cheaper that way or than going to the gas station and paying almost $3 a bottle for gatorade when I can get a case for $8-10. Pays for the membership right there.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:55 PM on May. 18, 2009