how do you decide what to throw away?

im a packrat..i admit it..i save everything because i swear one day ill use it...its gotten to be too much...my closet is stocked full, my drawers are stocked full plus i have stacks of clean clothes in th laundry room because i cant fit them in my bedroom! the hubby is the asme way...for me its mostly clothes...i seem to stockpile clothes...i have clothes that are from high school still ...(im about to be 25...they are a little old) but just liek the shows clean house etc. i have a hard time parting...so ive decided i NEED to give a lot of this to the local thrift shop...how do you decide what to trash and what to keep? i hate getting rid of anything

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 3:55 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

• If it doesn't fit, if it is stained/ripped/damaged beyond repair (aside from a few outfits for yard work or heavy house cleaning), if you have not worn it for a year (aside from very fancy outfits, provided they are classic pieces), throw it out. If it doesn't make you feel great when you put it on, it is not worth keeping. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 3:58 PM on May. 18, 2009

• i think the if it doesnt make you feel great part...

i have a lot of pre baby clothes....and i am working hard to lose weight and i have been losing weight but ill never have the tummy i used to have...and all those clothes do is remind me what my stomach was like beforei had a 10lb baby lol.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 4:00 PM on May. 18, 2009

• If you have not used it in a year, get rid of it. You can donate it to a charity thrift shop or post it on freecycle

Answer by rkoloms at 4:02 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Look at it and say.. "i will wear this today", if you cant bring yourself to put it on than away it gos..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 4:04 PM on May. 18, 2009

• If it doesn't fit me right, If I haven't worn it in a while, has any stain or anything on it... I will get rid of it.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 4:13 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Nothing is more freeing to your spirit than to get rid of clutter. I was keeping clothes too long b/c I kept thinking I would truly lose enough weight, but thats not the point. I've realized that every year I get older, my body changes, even if my weight goes down. My hips don't fit in my size 11 jeans even tho i'm the weight I was several years ago and fit into them perfectly.

So my rule is this: Pass on (to bless others) any piece I didn't wear the last season. Have an awesome yard sale and get rid of everything. If its appliances and you haven't used them in a year, out it goes. Someone else can use it and be blessed by it.

Get rid of toys. Kids have too many junk toys. Get rid of out of date decor. Less is more (beautiful) when it comes to decorating. Use the money to paint a room. Buy a new couch or rug and lamps. Read some on Feng Shui. It really works.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 4:23 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I tend to save things, too, but I decided a few years ago that it would end and just started tossing stuff. I made a rule that if I hadn't used it in 5 years then it was gone. I got rid of 7 giant bags of clothes (mine, hubby and mostly the kids' stuff).
    That being said, I still have clothes in my drawer that I wore in college. I haven't been in college in 12 years. They still fit and are in good enough condition to wear so I wear them. Actually I think I still have a shirt from high school. I graduated 14 years ago.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:00 PM on May. 18, 2009

• what things do you actually wear? I would keep those things! If they are ripped, stained or DONT fit RIGHT NOW... get rid of them! If you are trying to loose weight and fit into some of them... I would keep ONE OUTFIT as a GOAL outfit! Other than that get rid of everything else!!! Since the economy is tough, I would list them for free or pretty cheap on craigslist or something like that! The thrift store will just resale them... why not help someone else out by giving them away or sale them for CHEAP!!! Good luck!!!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 7:31 PM on May. 18, 2009

• If it is seasonal and it hasn't been used in over a year, then out it goes. If it is sentimental, then pack it carefully, label it, and store it in a proper place. For year-round items, if it hasn't been used in 6 months, then out it goes. If it is broken and you haven't fixed it by now, then throw it away. If it is collecting dust and is non-sentimental, then clean it up and either donate it or gift it to someone. Any books you do not need can be donated to libraries - especially prison libraries. If you have baby items that aren't broken, donate them to the battered women's shelter - most women have to bring their babies and children with them and when they have to leave a volatile situation suddenly, they don't get to bring what is needed for the children, so they could really use the donations.
    If you have a collection that doesn't interest you anymore, find it's worth and find a buyer.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:22 AM on May. 19, 2009

• yea ive decided to donate the items to the local thrift shop and that makes me feel better about it.
    we are doing a yard sale soon but i really dont think anyone wants my old clothes..maybe the babies clothes though.i remember how much money i got paid as a private an di cant imagine some of these families are privates with kids....i konw it has to be hard o nthem and we do have it a bit easier being my husband is a nco, so im gonna donate them to the military thrift shop where privates can shop for free for their family.

i HAVE to downsize..right now we have a decent sized 3 bdrm 2 bath house.....we are moving to germany in a few months into a small 2 bdrm apt. nothing we can do about it.its the military housing....so we have to get rid of stuff or pay for storage
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 12:51 PM on May. 19, 2009