• In the Spotlight:

question about baby kidneys-anyone have experience with this?

my baby (one month) had been diagnosed with a UTI infection and had to be hospitalized for 4 days recently. she had a fever of 101 which is why we went to the ER. our pediatrician is having us bring her in for ultrasounds on her kidneys. does anyone have experience with this? she screams uncontrollably and is inconsolable for about 12 hours a day. my husband and i are breaking down but we are at the most worried about her. the pediatrician said she is not a comfortable baby and seems to be in pain. i dont know what to do! would appreciate any advice. thank you so much

charlene29

Asked by charlene29 at 4:16 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it sounds like they need to give her something for pain and see if she has a stone or something further than just a UTI...you don't ultrasound the kidneys for a UTI...it may be a kidney infection...im so sorry that you are going throug this with your little one but she needs something for pain......good luck
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:58 PM on May. 18, 2009

• My daughter got an extreme uti at 8 weeks old. She was in the hospital on IV meds for almost a week. The did an ultrasound on her kidneys as well. And also another test involving dye. Both tests are just to make sure everything is working and flowing properly and there is no physical cause for the uti.
    As for the discomfort she could just have colic.... It can develop anytime as far as I know.
    I wouldn't worry about the tests. The hospital my dd was at told me they were both routine tests that they did on every infant that got any type of urinary infection. I'm sure your little one will be fine.... GL!! You can private message me if you have any more questions about the uti situation =]
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 5:50 PM on May. 18, 2009

• She might have what they call reflux, where the urine backs up and causes an infection. They will first look at her kidneys with an ultrasound.. the same as when you had yours. They will make sure they aren't enlarged or have something wrong with them. After that they might do something called a VCUG if they suspect more problems.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:09 PM on May. 18, 2009