An older lady at work has shingles....her Dr told her it was ok to work at our preschool. What do you think?

Several of us are worried about it...but our bosses have not done anything about it.

she told us her Dr cleared her for work, but it still makes us concerned with all the kids she helps care for...

One of our co workers is about 7 months pregnant too.....so we were worried about her unborn baby.

Anyone have any knowledge about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Health

• After the leasons, bumps whatever have appeared she is no longer contageous. Also, many children now get the chicken pox vaccine. Now the lady that is pregnant, if she has not had chicken pox or the vaccine, she should not be working in day care, with or without this coworker.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:27 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Um, I was not allowed to go to work when I had shingles and I work with adults. What happens if she gets near an adult who hasn't had chicken pox or the vaccine? They could get chicken pox.
    A pregnant woman who hasn't had chicken pox could get it and endanger the baby. She should not be working while having shingles.
    Anonymous

• I don't know I think that the employer is more concerned about lawsuits then the safety of his employees. I think that the pregnant lady should do her own research as well as the parents of the children. As a mom I would be calling my son's pedi right and left making sure it was okay. And if in doubt, I would not send him to school.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 4:43 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Like the first poster stated, she is not contagious after the lesions scab over. Chances are she had it and was contagious before she even knew she had it. That's how epidemics begin. You start to run a fever but you aren't aware that you are sick.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 4:44 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Did she provide the medical documentation the your boss? If so, there is not much you can do.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 5:20 PM on May. 18, 2009

• You should confirm this with the board of health

Answer by rkoloms at 5:50 PM on May. 18, 2009

• As long as she has poxs that have not crusted over, she cannot be at work. She would also need a signed release from the doctor before she could return to work. She is putting all those kids and other workers at risk, especially the pregnant lady. You could also call the health department and ask what the protocol is, but I worked in child care and a few teachers had shingles and couldn't come to work for 10 days after the diagnosis.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:22 PM on May. 18, 2009