How old is too old for sharing a room?

My son is going to be 5 in a month and my daughter is 6. They sleep in the same room on a bunk bed. Do you think they're too old to share a room? They still play together good, and usually get along really well.

mamahud

Asked by mamahud at 4:27 PM on May. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Nope, not too old. My 3 oldest kids share 1 big room. The girls are almost 9 and 6 1/2 and my son is 7 1/2. The girls' beds are on one side and my son's bed is in a little alcove.
    They wanted to share a room and it's been that way for almost 2 years. We recently contemplated moving the oldest into her own room because she has behavior problems that have become an issue and she freaked out. They like sharing a room and will until they all agree that it's time for my son to move out. He'll then switch with my youngest dd (she's 3 and has a small room to herself).
    They are all very close. The 6yo and 7yo still change in front of each other and would bathe together if I let them (they make too much of a mess, though).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:34 PM on May. 18, 2009

• no they are not to old to share a room. I think when they hit that age. When they don't want to be seen naked and so on. Then I would worry about it.
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 4:31 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I think it's once they get in school.... I'm honestly not sure though. I only have one child. Do you have room in the house to move one to another room? You could move one and still let them play in basically one room...... I don't think at 5 and 6 it's inappropriate though
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 4:33 PM on May. 18, 2009

• DFACS would say absolutely not an ok arrangement.... but, I don't think it is a problem until your kids say it is a problem. I would imagine when they start to get hormonal and your daughter starts to "bud" into a little lady it will be more of an issue than it is right now.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:39 PM on May. 18, 2009

• My mom separated my brother and I when my brother (3 yrs older than me) was about 11 or 12. So I was about 8. It made me sad, I didn't understand why she wouldn't let us share a room anymore. So good luck on whatever you decide :)
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 5:10 PM on May. 18, 2009

• My kids have separate rooms, but it's because my dd is 9 and wants her own space. My ds is 6 1/2. DHS does set guidelines about that as well, but I think it should really be up to the parent in most cases. Unfortunately, I have seen some cases that just weren't right. For example, my SO's little bros were 14 and 2 and sharing a room (and it was because his dad wanted to have his own room for an office).
    Anonymous

• my brother and I were about 13 & 14 before we had seperate rooms. but that was due to we only had a 2 bedroom apt. when we moved we had our own rooms
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 9:22 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I'd be thinking about separating them pretty soon. Check the law in your state too, several states have laws about boys and girls sharing rooms.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:02 PM on May. 18, 2009

• ...what ever happened to parents making the rules in the household? Why all the laws? If the kids get along well and there aren't any problems, then what harm will it do? I'd say once they start hitting that puberty age, that's the time to start splitting them up.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:06 PM on May. 18, 2009

• DCFS has nothing to do with this. I say whenever they think they're ready or when certain issues like modesty and puberty come into play here.
    alexa_n_mommy

Answer by alexa_n_mommy at 10:37 AM on May. 19, 2009