• In the Spotlight:

Why won't you take the time to learn about the danger of this flu?

Why are you dismissing it? Please tell me you put more thought into things then this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Health

• I am not dismissing it, but I am not letting it control my life either. The regular flu is worse and more deadly than the Swine flu. I am doing nothing different for the Swine flu than I do with the regular flu. Not everyone has autoimmune issues like you do, so we are less worried and you don't need to keep pushing it down everyones throats. You do what you have to do to protect yourself and your family and the rest of us will do what we have to do. But, please stop pushing this down people's throats, we are all capable of protecting ourselves.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:18 PM on May. 18, 2009

• The flu is the flu. Some peopel will die, many people will not that get it. Your chances of catching the flu are not huge. Your chances of dying from it are fairly low. it's not that big of a deal.
    Anonymous

• Actually, MY chances are fairly high. I have SEVERAL autoimmune diseases.
    It IS that big of a deal.
    Anonymous

• I'm not dismissing it, but I'm not letting it run my life either. God is in control.
    Anonymous

• How many people are there in the world and how many have swine flu? Do you know the chances of getting it? Out of over 5,000 only 5 people have died from it and ALL those people had underlying medical conditions. Serioulsy divide 5/5123 and that's the percentage of deaths...it's a TINY, TINY number.... .0009% and you're paranoid? It really is not huge like the media is making it out to be.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 4:55 PM on May. 18, 2009

• If you have autoimmune diseases your chance of dying from the regular flu is higher.
    Anonymous

• Swine flu? I've spent the past couple of weeks learning about it for work, talking with the directors of public health in my area. Bottom line for them: It's no more serious than any other variety of flu we've lived through.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:58 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Because it's all media hype. Do you realize we lose more people in our country to pneumonia each year.. but you are not seeing this headline: "4 die in NY today from pneumonia"... but it happens ALL THE TIME.

However, if you haven't noticed, even the media is becoming bored with it. What are you going to do, sit around and wait to get sick. You stand this chance every day. GO out and enjoy your life!!!
    Anonymous

• 2009 flu deaths:13,000; 2009 "swine" flu deaths:6
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 5:10 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I agree, its not super dangerous right now. However it could come back much stronger and harder to treat in the fall. Time will tell. I will get the flu shot next fall as usual, and that is about all I will be doing different. I wash my hands and my kids hands very frequently, we stay away from people who are sick. If we are sick, we stay home. If my kids were younger, I might not take them out as often to very crowded, closed in spaces. I don't dismiss it as a joke or media hype, but RIGHT NOW, it is not even as deadly as the common flu.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:22 PM on May. 18, 2009