Do you think people who generally have a hard time getting by should get pregnant?

I hear about people with 2 or 3 kids talking about how hard a time they are having these days and then half the time they say they are pg with another. I know accidents happen but not that much. Do you think people do not weigh the cons of having another kid when they can hardly raise the ones they have? Do you think some just think they can get aid or more aid? Are they just irresponsible?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 4:51 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Unfortunately, that is not our decision to make.
    Anonymous

• My step sister is like that. It drives me up the wall!!! She shouldn't have anymore children.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 4:56 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I think some people just think that they can get more help from the government so they don't care. I know you can never really plan when you are going to get prego but, I think if you are having a hard time supporting the children you already have you should try to get on birth control or something because its not fair to your current children or the new one.
    Anonymous

• There are a good combination of the things you've asked happening out there. The most common would be, they just aren't thinking. Often "accidents" happen, but they can't truely be called accidents if we didn't use a condom or aren't taking birth control. There are to many ways to prevent something like that. Some sick people do use it to recieve more assistance because they are lazy and awful people. I recieve assistance right now and would NEVER have another child just to get more help. However, if I were to become pregnant it wouldn't change any of my aid currently, other than the medicaid to cover my pregnancy.... I'm guessing that often times people think, why the hell not. Nothing is really going to change. We're struggling, but we can afford to feed another, or goverment assistance gives us food assistance so we can afford another baby. It's interesting to see what people are thinking.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 4:57 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Thats a loaded question for cafemom. Be aware of all the response you are likely to receive.

To answer: I don't think the general public counts the cost of anything. They buy cars they can't afford, cell phone plans that are waaay over the top, cell phones that more than is needed, electronics they don't need, mortgages they can't pay for, so why should these same folks count children as important enough to plan for?

You would think that people with less money would spend their money even more wisely. Not true. Hopes and expectations of the government, or the money fairy dictate their desires.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 4:57 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Who knows. Some people don't believe in birth control. Also, Some people think that just because they are married, they don't need birth control. I doubt that most people do it for the $$ becuase they don't get much. Just enough to feed & clothe the child. I guess stupidity plays a role too. I know a few girls (not personally) that have 4 children & are BROKE. One of them just got kicked out of her house too. After her 4th child though, her insurance finally paid to have her tubes tied. I think insurance should pay for all woman to get their tubes tied regardless of how many children they have. I just don't undersand why woman don't care to keep from having another baby when they can't afford the ones they already have.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:57 PM on May. 18, 2009

• They can have children if ithey want to. My uncle and aunt were in a hard part of life when they decided to have children and they pulled through it! They have a 5 bedroom home now and the children are in college! Even if people struggle having a child is a blessing! It makes life worth living. (BTW my uncle did it without welfare)
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 5:01 PM on May. 18, 2009

• There are many reasons why some women continue to have children even tho they can't afford the ones they have. Its not a lack of BC. Some women believe that if they can't get love from a man, a child will fill that need. Some women are so desperate to have a man in their bed for a nite of warmth and caring that they let any old dog creep in. Sadly, tho, its the same principle of a race horse. You don't breed a million dollar race horse to a broken down old mare. So you end up with children that have all kinds of maladies.

Some only see the dollar signs at tax time. Ignorant, I know, but I see it every year. Hey, offer me $4,300 dollars every April and I might jump thru the same hoops. Unfortunately, I have to work for my money.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 5:05 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Do you think people who generally have a hard time getting by should get pregnant?

Do I think so? In my opinion, no they shouldn't. Seems pretty irresponsible to get yourself in a position of greater financial, emotional, and personal stress if you can't prepare or handle the "stresses" you currently have. Accidents happen. But people should be more aware of all the consequences of their actions.  Some aren't. Some are, but know the govt will provide for them if they need it. Doesn't seem to be very responsible or mature, imo. Then add to it, if someone knowingly decides to have a baby well aware they must rely on government assistance as part of their income/benefits in order to provide health, shelter, or food for their new family ? IMO~irresponsible, immature, and shows a total lack of responsibility.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:07 PM on May. 18, 2009

True but one we all have to pay for.
    Anonymous