Would you breast feed baby just to stop her from crying even though she's not hungry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes, like with colic, an infant needs that comfort.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:54 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I'm just so exhausted and I don't want to become a human pacifier :(
    Anonymous

• Yes, there is a term for it. It is called comfort nursing. I find it the quickest, and easiest way to calm an otherwise inconsolable baby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:56 PM on May. 18, 2009

• yep...whatever comforts her....you won't be a human pacifier...obviously your baby needs some comforting. try a binki. my baby BFs and uses one to sleep and has never had nipple confusion. New studies show that it has nothing to do with it....good luck
    Anonymous

• Oh boy did I ever!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 4:56 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I used to do that at night, then I realized that giving her her paci and covering her up and patting her on the back worked just as well to get her back to sleep and we both get more sleep!
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 4:57 PM on May. 18, 2009

• OP here, the problem is she spits the paci out everytime

Anonymous

• Sometimes you have to. Like rkoloms said, with colic they need that comfort. I had to do it with ds because of colic. Ds would eat every hour and a half for 30 min stretches, around the clock. It gets exhausting but just remember you are trying to comfort your baby. We went through it again when he was teething. If you have a swing try that. Try a few other things and then if that doesn't work nurse her. It does get easier. Hang in there.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 4:59 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Yes!
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 5:13 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Comfort is one of many basic NEEDS for a baby so yes, I would comfort them by nursing or any other way I could.
    Anonymous