How long is too long for CIO?

10 minutes is too long isn't it??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• any amount of time is too long....comfort your baby!!!!! and if your baby is very young it can cause brain damage...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:59 PM on May. 18, 2009

• brain damage?
    Anonymous

• IMO, yes 10 mins is too long.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:00 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I think anything longer than fifteen minutes is too long. If your baby has been screaming bloody murder for over fifteen minutes, something is WRONG with the child.

But some babies need to cry a little bit to get to sleep.

It's whatever you're comfortable with. You'll find people that can't stand CIO and others that swear by it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:01 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Well, google "Harvard" and "cry it out" and you'll decide even 30 seconds is too long.

But relaly it's between you and the woman in your mirror.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:03 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Yes, brain damage...studies have shown that a baby who CRIES not fusses, too long and too hard can cause brain damage due to lack of oxygen....it's just lazy anyway, why not comfort your baby??
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:05 PM on May. 18, 2009

• It depends on the age of the baby and his/her temperament. I mean, a 12 month old will know how to cry to be stubborn or get his way. But a younger infant is probably crying for a real need and then it's not right to let them cry it out.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 5:06 PM on May. 18, 2009

• "Parents should recognize that having their babies cry unnecessarily harms the baby permanently," Commons said. "It changes the nervous system so they're overly sensitive to future trauma."

From the Harvard Gazette....

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/1998/04.09/ChildrenNeedTou.html

read this article....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:07 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Good point, there is most definitely a difference between flat out crying and fussing.

Scratch what I said before, if your baby is just babbling or fussing, that's understandable. But if your baby is screaming and wide awake, comfort them immediately. My daughter has to talk to herself before she goes to sleep every night, it only takes about five minutes tops lol.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:07 PM on May. 18, 2009

• calliesmommie - that is really interesting! It makes me wonder if some of the more emotionally unstable kids at school cried it out? I'll have to see if there's a way I can ask their parents without them thinking anything of it...lol! I'm curious!!
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 5:12 PM on May. 18, 2009