What would you do if your child's car is in your name, and she moved out, but may be coming back to live?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• Regardless of where she lives, i'd make her refinance and own the car herself. Or buy it from you if she's not on the loan at all, or there is no loan. Thats what my parents did with me and all my sibs, and it teaches quite a bit about responsibility and managing money.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 5:12 PM on May. 18, 2009

• If she's over 18 I'd put it in her name and let her pay the insurance premiums. I wouldn't be letting her drive around in a car in my name making me responsible for it.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:13 PM on May. 18, 2009

• If the car is paid off then put it in her name. I learned the hard way with my step daughter
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 5:13 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Its either her car or not...no matter who paid for it. If you gave her the car, then put it in her name and let her pay the expenses, such as insurance, gas etc....Doesnt matter where she lives, its either her car or your car. Its not fair to be wishy washy about it. ;o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:22 PM on May. 18, 2009

• The car should be in the child's name. The child should be paying her own insurance and buying her own gas.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:32 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Ok, my 18 ds moved out, he made payments before he moved and paid off the car. We left it in our name, he was back in 6 months. Now if I knew he was going to make it on his own, it might have been different, but his hours were cut to 3 hours a week and I knew he was starving and figured he would be back so why go thru the hassle for now.
    Anonymous

• MY THREE GROWN KIDS HAVE THEIR CARS IN MY NAME, THEY HAVE LIVED UP TO THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES VERY WELL. IF THEY WERE GEARED TO DO SO, THERE SHOULDN'T BE ANY PROBLEM. THEY USE MY CREDIT WHEN THEY NEED TO, I HAVE AN EXTREMEMLY GOOD CREDIT BECAUSE OF THEM. THERE IS NOTHING I WOULD NOT DO FOR MY KIDS, AND THEY IN TURN REWARD ME BY BEING RESPONSIBLE.

Answer by older at 11:20 AM on May. 19, 2009

• My son's car (the one he drives) is still in my name, he is 21 and a full-time college student. He moved out at 18 and has not returned, choosing to live by school year round. Until he is done (2010) with his BS we still give him the majority of his support, including the car and insurance and a stipend to live on. All of this support is contingent on his continued education, after his BS he will be on his own and then the car will be transferred to his name, along with all of his other financial responsibilities (ins, cell, food, rent). His has showed his maturity and responsibility in many other ways, same job for 6 years, coached the same youth team for 5, maintains Honor student status.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 12:32 PM on May. 19, 2009

• First I would have a full conversation about the whole situation. If the car is in your name, you cannot simply tell the bank to change names on the title NOR the loan. LOL If that were the case, no one would ever have to sell their car, they could just change the title and the loan.

If the car is paid for and in your name, ask her to buy it from you. If she doesn't then allow her to have some time to find one for herself and let her know at what time you will reclaim the car.

If she is moving back in, allow her to do so but with expectations of what her role will be. If she's old enough to move out and care for her own needs, then she's old enough to attach herself to yours or anyone's home WITH responsibilities. Any person who considers themself to be an adult should be expected to add to the household, not be a liability. That teaches our children responsibility.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 1:32 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I can top this. I got a loan for my son's car, he is the co-signer. We put the registration in his name only against the strong advice of the dealership. I had good reasons for doing it but it is now coming back to bite me, as they said it probably would. He doesn't make the payments, despite making decent money, he doesn't pay the insurance yet racks up the speeding tickets causing a rise in the premiums, and also racks up parking tickets which he ignores. Because the loan is in my name and I can't risk a repossession, or the car being impounded for unpaid parking tickets, or the car being driven uninsured, I am stuck with paying all of the bills while his income is spent buying anything and everything he has ever wanted. It will take a very good family law lawyer to get me out of this mess!
    jemutschler

Answer by jemutschler at 1:48 PM on May. 20, 2009