• In the Spotlight:

how did u cope with I wanna live with my dad?

hi moms...so has anyone been faced with this yet??? If so how did u deal with all the emotions??? I was just wondering my son is fixin to go do a trail basics with the issue he thinks being at his dad's would be FUNNIER and all...So what did u do as a mom how did u let go of him he is my only child and so on ....he is my world.i feel like im losing him....should i feel that way ???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I am in the exact same position, my 14 yr old is going back to his dads in about 2 weeks, to go to high school there. Email me and we can talk more in depth, I dotn want to put it all out here. But I do understand the feeling that the world is ending...but it isnt, I promise. Email me if you would like. (hugs).Maybe together we can make sense of it....
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:16 PM on May. 18, 2009

• My best friend went thru this last year with her kids. They thought it would be great to live with their dad, who only before got them on the weekends. They did move in with him and found out it wasn't so great but since they had moved in with him their mom made them stay there until the school year was out. It was hard on her, but the kids learned a lesson, the grass is not always greener on the other side. They are now back with their mom and haven't again wanted to move back to their dads.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 5:32 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I am actually on the other end of this. I am a step mom to a 13 yo. He wants to come live with us because we do "fun" stuff. I would love to have him, but my husband and I had to make some rules. 1. It is a 6month commitment. No moving in with us bc he is mad at mom, then out bc he is mad at us. 2. My husband and my step-son's mom sat down and got on the same page. The mom wanted my husband to tell my SS that he could not live with us, but he refused. But my husband did explain to him that if he lived with us full time it would not be like the weekends all the time. He would have school, chores... all the same things he has at his mom's. So for now he has decided to stay bc he doesn't want to move away from his friends, but who knows what next year will bring. As kids get older they are more likely to stay where they are bc of their friends.

Tough situation. Hang in there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on May. 19, 2009

• kids see the other parent as a good time because when the other parent has them it is a good time! however when you are living together the good times fade into rules and it begins to suck and they want to go back.......you can change the sceneary but the situation still exists and that is within ourselves....
    have his dad expalin that there will be rules and consquences....my husbands daughter went back and forth between him and her mom...she was looking for happiness and since she didn't find it from going back and forth...she found it in drugs...
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:37 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I feel your pain, my son went to live with his dad a year ago, he is my world. I cried for days but had to let him go. The good news is that he is moving back in with me this week because he does not get along with his step mom. It will all work out. It always does. Good luck!
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 12:58 PM on May. 20, 2009