Will the hospital release a premie infant that weighs 4lbs?

I try to see on craigslist what people need or want and offer. But if the story they give is questionable I don't. I noticed a person looking for help and says she needs a carseat for her daughter that weighs less than 4lbs. Can she come home being that small?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if the baby is in good health and doesn't need help eating or breathing, then yes.usually they want to keep premature baby until they hit their original due date or they feel confident of the babies health. it is up to the baby and the doctors.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:22 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Yes they will. My nephew came home at 4lbs.
    Anonymous

• thanks
    Anonymous

• they have to be 5 lbs....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:39 PM on May. 18, 2009

• My nephew came home at 4lbs 3 oz...born at 4lbs 8 oz...my SIL didn't even have a safe seat to bring him home in because hers said 5lbs...the chicco keyfit starts at 4lbs, mention it to them
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:45 PM on May. 18, 2009

• As long as the baby is sucking and breathing well with no problems for at least a week I think then yes, they can take them home. My cousin came home at less than that... she slept in a shoe box for the first few months she was home. It was the only thing small enough for her. She would get competely lost in a crib!
    She has her own kids now and is completely healthy =]
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 5:46 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Babies go home below 5lbs all the time. They do NOT have to be 5lbs.
    Anonymous

• yes if the baby is healthy and just fine. alot of babies go homw under 5 lbs heck alot of full term babies here are under 5 lbs
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:41 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Weight is no longer a factor in preemies going home. My twins were both under 5lbs when they came home. They were in normal infant car seats. The hospital does a car seat test to make sure they fit properly, otherwise a special bed car seat is needed.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:48 PM on May. 18, 2009

• If the baby is doing fine and eating well on it's own then yes.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:59 PM on May. 18, 2009