any additional tips on comforting my 5 week old?

he had his Hep B vax today and has been a little weepy and fussy. i have given him tylenol(he is 10.2 lbs so doc said it was fine) and avoided grabbing his leg, but is there anything else that moms do to help comfort their babies thru the day? it goes without saying he has gotten all the cuddles he wants, he just seems so miserable but no fever or anything serious, just wondered if anyone had any mommy tricks? ty :o)

Bearsjen

Asked by Bearsjen at 5:24 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• With my son the thing that always worked like a charm was I would put on some music and sig it to him and kind of sway/ walk around the living room, kinda like a gentle slow dance with him. usually after a little bit he would be sound asleep for hours
    trowasmommy515

Answer by trowasmommy515 at 6:31 PM on May. 18, 2009

• you can try some witch hazel on the legs. also a luke warm bath and a massage. you need to rub those legs and rub the knots out of them. that is the only thing that really helped my little ones when getting their shots. next time he goes for shots, give him tylenol an hour before and when you are waiting for the nurse to give the shots, massage his thigh that way the muscle is nice and tender right before she gives the shots.

witch hazel will take away some of the soreness. if that doesn't work you can try rubbing alcohol. the winter green kind. it is safe to put on babies skin.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:27 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Frequent nursing will also comfort your baby. You may want to consider delaying the next vaccine until after your baby turns 1.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:30 PM on May. 18, 2009

• A cool cloth on his head may help. Rocking and singing to him. Rubbing his back and tummy. I hope he feels better soon.

Answer by Bmat at 5:37 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Just wanted to say that the doc said to not give tylenol before because they have to take an accurate temp at office and tylenol can throw it off, just fyi :o). And I plan to stagger his vax, and doc is ok with that but this one I researched and agreed to do today. ty tho ladies for the help, I appreciate it...and Bmay lol I have been a cuddle monster and songbord all day mama lol. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:00 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Even though it may hurt him now but if you actually rub the injection sight it helps it feel better for tomorrow. Have you tried giving him a treat? My DS when he gets fussy I give him a treat even just a little drop of water he likes. Just cuddle him and give him different toys to play with I know he wont really play with them but show him all the stuff thats his with my DS I gave him all his toys and next thing I know he loves them!!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 6:54 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Put a recieving blanket in the dryer for a few mins and let it get warm then swaddle him with it. Works wonders with my daughter. Good luck.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 8:05 PM on May. 18, 2009

• ty all so much...he is doing much better and sleeping finally.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:24 PM on May. 18, 2009