Important Question: Expiration Date of Milk

Okay, my dd's doctor told me today to switch her to organic skim milk. As I checked the expiration date I was shocked to see it as expiring on July 19th. What in the heck?? I noticed all of the organic milk had long, long shelf lives.

Am I doing crazy or is this normal?

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 5:26 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My husband works in the Dairy plant at Safeway and they just started running organic milk. Here's what he said:" it is ultra pasteurized to kill off any bacteria and that makes it have a longer shelf life. They can't add enzymes or anything else to it like regular milk to kill germs so they can only use heat pasteurization."
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 9:38 PM on May. 18, 2009

• wow that is odd. Maybe your grocery store just stocks it way in advance. i would ask a manager at the store if that is normal for that milk. I dont know why it would have that long of a life, maybe its a typo?
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:28 PM on May. 18, 2009

• yeah I've never seen any kind of milk last that long lol unless it has hard core preservatives, but then it wouldnt be organic
    Anonymous

• that is really weird...maybe do some researching on the net or go into the store and ask someone or even ask your doctor.... good luck
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 6:01 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Yes, organic milk has a longer shelf life. That said, not all organic milk is created equally. Here is a link to ratings: http://www.cornucopia.org/dairysurvey/index.html

Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 PM on May. 18, 2009

• that's why i buy it bc i live alone and it don't waste
    sunshyne251

Answer by sunshyne251 at 8:21 PM on May. 18, 2009

• That is normal for organic, soy and other nondairy milks. They are ok until they are opened and then you have 7 days to use the milk before it goes bad. It is ok.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:51 PM on May. 18, 2009