help me figure out what to do with my toddler!

He is 15 months old and overall very sweet, loving, and fun to be with. But every time I change his diaper has a fit. I'll try to distract him but it doesn't always work... so it's really hard getting a diaper change done. When I am feeding him in his high chair he always stands up so I make him sit, then he throws a fit and I can't get him to eat anymore. If i buckle him in he won't eat at all. And of course he gets mad at me whenever I tell him "no". Yes i know that he is a toddler and they do this, but what I'm specifically wanting to know is if there is any way to start teaching him that this behavior in unacceptable 'cause i'm really getting worn out...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• speak to him in a firm voice so he knows you mean business. my son is 3 and my daughter is 18 months. so i have been there...with the diaper changing, see if you can get him to participate. get him to unhook the tabs of the diaper and when you put another one on him get him to hook the tabs.(you just undo them and get them as tight as you want them). with the eating, try getting him a booster seat and putting him at the table. he may just want to sit with you guys and eat like a big boy. and yes like you said he is a toddler and he will do this but you need to set the limitations and don't back down. stand your ground. if you say no, then you mean no. it doesn' t matter what kind of fit he throws, when mama says no mama means no. good luck
    Anonymous

• End the meal and put him on the floor. Try again in a 10 to 15 minutes. If he doesn't eat after a few tries, don't worry about it and just try again at the next meal.

Do you still have a playpen? Drag it back out but don't put anything in it. When he throws a fit, plop him in it and turn your back. Let him throw his fit and then get him out when he is calm again. Do not try to talk him out of his fit or try to distract him with a toy or funny faces - the more attention he gets, the more you reinforce the "throw a tantrum, get attention" pattern.

As for diaper changes, that's tough. Some parents end up mastering the "standing change", others battle it out until the child realizes he can't win. Mine never made much of a fuss so I can't really help you with that one.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:32 PM on May. 18, 2009

that was from me sorry for the anon answer.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:32 PM on May. 18, 2009

• i have an 18month old boy n he did the same.....i usually jst give him his bottle or his favourite toy when i change him...sometimes i even tell him make belief stories to get his attention....lol!...works everytime....as for eatin....thats a hard one.....i try to feed him when his really hungry, mostly i feed him while his playing with a toy or when his distracted by something....
    Anonymous

• Thanks all, I really appreciate the advice
    Anonymous

• I am right there with you on the diaper changing. I have no idea -with the food - if he throws anything I put him in time out - if he dumps his water, time out - my son eats like a bird already so I hate to take away food from him but I refuse to let him be a little monkey also - But hey - when you get advice for the diaper let me know - I have to hold him down and its a fight everytime - he gets time outs for kicking me too...ugh
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:01 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Mine is 16 months and usually pretty good about the diaper changing...as long as she has something to play with. Mind you, she has to pick it out! If I just hand her something, it probably isn't what she wants. Her very favorite thing to play with while changing is a wipe. LOL It all started when she was an infant and I would always wipe her down with wipes at every diaper change. She lays there and wipes her face and her knees. Sometime she grabs a shoe (hers)or a toy or a book ect..on the way into her room and thats what she wants to busy herslf with while diapering. As for the eating thing, I would get him a booster and make a BIG deal about it being a Big Boy chair and sit with him and eat while he eats. Also you can try not telling him "no" since you know that upsets him. Try using other phrases like "let's not do that" "that doesn't go there" " that goes in your mouth, not on the floor" ect.. I'm sure you get the idea.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 7:04 PM on May. 18, 2009

• my daughter would throw fits to when eating and stand up and such.. I ended up giving her the spoon and allowing her to feed herself even though I always have to clean up her messes... I believe mealtime should be happytime too.... and once she was able to feed herself she forgot about standing up while eating and became much more interested in actually eating her food.. now she sits there and eats until she is done and then says MOMMY Mommy... lol
    sometimes she will throw the food to the dog when she is done too ... which I don't know how to stop.
    roseakasis

Answer by roseakasis at 9:36 AM on May. 19, 2009