Would you let your child's school hold him/her back in kindergarten? (read)

My son is 5...his birthday is June 25th. The school keeps harping on his age as one of the main reasons they wish to retain him in Kindergarten. While his DIBELS (reading) test scores have improved through the course of the year, they do not seem to think it's good enough to let him go on to first grade. He's a bright kid and seems to understand, etc. He hasn't had many discipline issues, so I know that's not the problem here. So, my question is, would you let your child's school retain him/her because they're on the young side/their scores weren't quite up there, or do you go with your gut. Honestly, between lack of teacher communication and not actually being told his scores (they just say he didn't pass--the teacher didn't actually send scores/results/whatever as we had discussed at parent-teacher conferences)...yeah. What do you think?

goofygoober168

Asked by goofygoober168 at 5:31 PM on May. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well, I would ask to see the damned results, and if they won't let you, they're being that way
    for a reason. Age really doesn't have anything to do with how smart a kid is, and what they
    can handle. Each child develops at their own rate. Who does this school think they are? If
    they won't let you see the results, and yes they are supposed to, take the matter up with the '
    school superintendant. Autumn is still several months away, so by the time the new school
    year starts, he will probably be ready.
    And how do they know his test scores weren't quite 'up there'? What the hell does that mean,
    anyway? He's five...what kind of test scores are they looking for?
    Can he write his name?
    Read some words?
    Does he get along with other kids?
    Does he follow rules and listen to the teacher?
    What else can they possible expect from a five year old???
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 11:47 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I think that you know your child. If the main reason is his age then no he should not be held back. If his grades aren't up to par then that is something different Just based on his age is no reason to hold him back they let him in kindergarten.
    DazeDelights

Answer by DazeDelights at 5:37 PM on May. 18, 2009

• The school knows if your child needs another year of Kindergarden. If he is behind now in reading it will be worse if you let him go forward to 1st grade. And yes, his age can cause problems later on, boys mature later then girls and one year can make a BIG difference. I am with the school on this one.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 5:38 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I would say that you want his scores and you want to know what they have to be for him to continue on to the first grade. I was always the youngest in my class and sometimes things were harder for me but i never had to be held back. Talk to them about the scores if they are to low then i would understand holding him back. Thats what happend to my brother in 6th grade. But if his scores are fine then there is no need for him to be held back.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 5:38 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I'm a homeschool mom and what I would recommend is finding out exactly what he needs and work with him over the summer time to get him caught up. It would likely take less then an hour a day a 3-4 days a week to get time caught up.

If I wasn't able to homeschool, I would have him repeat because it doesn't take long to ruin a kids whole education by them struggling and learning that they're "dumb". Self esteem is huge, which is probably why you don't want him to repeat Kindergarten, right?

Anonymous

• Try to get him tested elsewhere. If you can't, I'd go with the school. Instead of being a little behind, from what they are saying, if he repeats the year, he'd be ahead. Some friends of ours wouldn't let the school hold their daughter back and she had trouble all through school, not that this was the only problem, but I wondered. My BIL had a friend whose school wanted to hold their son back in kindergarten. What the teacher did was to say that they needed to have one child volunteer to stay and help the new kindergarten children who were coming into the class in the Fall. All of the children volunteered, of course, but she picked the friend's child, as planned. :)

Answer by Bmat at 5:43 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Homeschool mom--that's my plan. If his scores are just a little below their target, our 'school time' at home over the summer will likely get him where he needs to be...or further. I'm really beginning to wonder if it isn't the teacher--she's got several who are being held back, and for very similar reasons. I just don't see why they wouldn't have brought this kind of thing up earlier...rather than sending a surprise note home the last week of school.
    goofygoober168

Answer by goofygoober168 at 5:51 PM on May. 18, 2009

• My niece was held back in kindergarten and it seemed to help her in the long run. Since he is a bit younger, it seems that he wouldn't really get made fun of for being held back, because most kids wouldn't put his age and grade together. I think that whichever way you decide to go, a little extra work over summer is a good thing anyway. My kids complete a workbook over each summer. I ask their teachers which areas they could use extra attention in and we focus on those areas.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 6:54 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I'd keep him back. Better to stay back now instead of later. If he needs a little extra help, he needs a little extra help. It's not a bad thing.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:34 PM on May. 18, 2009

• here is the website that describes what the test measures https://dibels.uoregon.edu/dibels_what.php

If he isn't doing these things I would also think he might not be ready and why set him up for failure? I would wonder why he is not ready and try and teach him yourself over the summer (as you said) and see if you can get him ready.
    Anonymous