Please help before I lose my mind!

The baby will by 2 years old in just over a month.

How can I teach her NOT to put everything into her mouth??
A friend told me to “Go with your instincts.” Well, if I had instincts I would have hoped they would have kicked in by now.
Another friend said “They grow out of it.” WHEN? Is my question.

I tried following her around all day for 3 days straight. Each and every time she put something in her mouth I gently pushed it away and said “No, not food” Or “No, don’t put that in your mouth” and other times just “NO!” If that didn’t work, I took whatever it was away and allowed her to scream about it. After 3 days of not bathing and putting her in the tub while I peed I gave up on that plan.

SEE NEXT POST

Works4Mom.com

Asked by Works4Mom.com at 5:38 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She really will grow out of it. You might try having a "YES" day. Fill an area with things she can put in her mouth and sit there with her, trying out everything. Have a few food items mixed in. You can put a ball in your mouth and say "Oh Yucky!" or "That's not food" and then eat a goldfish cracker and say "Oh Yummy! Food for my mouth!"

As for potty runs, try bringing her with you (so she can see you go) and keep a snack in the bathroom for her - a sippy cup of juice, a bowl of crackers, anything that she CAN put in her mouth.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:04 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Today, while I ran to the bathroom to void (which takes me an average of 3.2 minutes TOTAL), she got past SECURITY – which is a complicated gate system which baffles and disorients most grandparents, then on to the table, found a screw and attempted to make it a snack.

This child has never missed a meal or a snack or even a secondary snack. Since birth she’s been on some bazaar feeding frenzy. It’s like evolution gone backwards. She would much rather eat off the floor than the table.

Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 5:39 PM on May. 18, 2009

• She meets every developmental stage, her doctor is not worried about her, she is right on target in every way other than she is a bit immature compared to my oldest at this age (of course my oldest at this stage was reading and speak full sentences – so we try not to compare.) She receives a lot of attention, lacks for nothing, if we could just get over this “everything in the mouth” stage mommy may avoid a break down or burst bladder – which
    Works4Mom.com

• Oh mommy... Sounds like for this one you may have to put literally EVERYTHING Out of her reach that could poison or hurt her, I am sure that is a task in itself but This sounds like a long stage, my son never put things in his mouth so we are lucky there - but count that lucky for the only thing!! I promise!!! hang in there - I have no advice accept maybe she could be a great food critic in the future?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:59 PM on May. 18, 2009

• My cousins little boy was the same way. DJ will be 3 in August and had a severe oral fixation and can only say less than 10 words. He's been in occupational and speech therapy for more than a year and his ped. doesn't seem concerned either no Autism Thank God! Good luck!
    busybee68

Answer by busybee68 at 6:19 PM on May. 18, 2009

• kaycee14, OMGosh that is such a good idea!!!!!
    We never said "No" to our oldest daughter, we used sentences like "We don't touch that" Or "We don't put that in our mouth." I can find more ways to say YES! I will start that right now, she's picking crud out of the carpet right now! Grrrr! lol
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 6:20 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Hey busybee68,
    I was a little worried about that, but in the past few weeks she's started talking up a storm. But the oral fixation, good grief! I think we are into hard time therapy there. LOL
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 6:23 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Man, I don't really have much advice but mine is 16 months still puts some stuff in her mouth. I try to catch her mid way to mouth and say " No, not in your mouth" and if she continues I get down to her level and keep her from putting it in her mouth without actually taking it from her and tell her " That's icky, YUK! Not in your mouth, give it to Mommy" Usually she makes an "icky" face and hands it to me. Maybe you could try letting her see the object and feel it but not let her put it in her mouth. Maybe you could try teaching her "Give that to Mommy" so when she picks things up she'll just bring them to you. Good Luck!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 6:49 PM on May. 18, 2009

• As an infant my daughter barely ever put things in her mouth, I was always expecting her to. Now she just turned 2 and it seems like she always has something she shouldn't have in her mouth. I guess it's just another phase they go through.
    leighasmom

Answer by leighasmom at 9:26 PM on May. 18, 2009

• leighasmom, don't laugh, but it's actually encouraging that your daughter has started now that she is 2. Thanks for sharing.

Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:56 PM on May. 18, 2009