should i accept a night/weekend job at a bar as a waitress?

i have connections, so all i need to do is accept. i'm 18, and am a mother of a 5 month old. my hubby is struggling a bit to support us. i'm at home with my mom and need to move out desperately. but with his previous bills, and tickets, it's hard to save up for an apartment. we can't leave boston because i have school in september, but the cost of living is so damn expensive. should i take the job and help out. is it indecent?

x0x0mommyx0x0

Asked by x0x0mommyx0x0 at 1:51 AM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Money & Work

• If your husband is in agreement with it, then go for it! I am assuming he will be taking care of the baby while you work? You didn't mention that. I stay at home too, and we struggle financially, but I can see you wanting to get out of your mothers house, so maybe it could be a temporary thing until you guys get on your feet. If your husband doesn't agree with it, then sit down with him and find out why he doesn't want you to work. I think if he is caring for your infant while you work, then the 2 of you could agree to this arrangement until you are able to get out on your own and clear his debts up a bit. It won't leave a lot of time for you 2 to spend together, but it will be good to be selfsufficent for your new family.... lots to think about and consider... good luck!
    BreakingFree

Answer by BreakingFree at 8:37 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I don't see why it would be indecent, but it depends on the bar I guess. Hey, if it helps your family out financially go for it.
    calicostatue

Answer by calicostatue at 1:57 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I don't understand why it would be indecent at all. I am a waitress AND a bartender. My son's Father works full time while I am home with our son and then I work part time, 3 nights per week, while he is at home with our son. We have 4 nights home together usually. If you guys are struggling to make ends meet and want to be out on your own, by all means, do what is necessary. Need anymore advice on the waitressing/bartending feel free to message me!
    amyj1420

Answer by amyj1420 at 3:16 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• It wouldnt be my first choice, but you are 18 and in dire straits! It's not like youre going to be stripping or anything. Just dont get caught up in the after-hour party that goes on in that industry. Good luck.
    sskyesmom

Answer by sskyesmom at 9:48 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• How do you get a job in a bar when you have to be at least 19 to serve alcohol?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:32 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• When our son was a baby...I worked as a cocktail waitress at a bar so that our son didn't have to be in daycare cause I worked nights after my hubby came home.
    The first night was hard and boy were my feet hurting, but I made really good tips so it helped us through some tight financial times.
    Brendabs

Answer by Brendabs at 1:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I think that isn't indecent at all. Working in a bar is good money.
    cleverusername

Answer by cleverusername at 2:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Do you feel like you'd be embarrassed to tell your child that you were a bartender or bar waitress? If not, then go for it. It's NEVER a bad thing to get a job to make money for the family!!! You could make some great money & meet some new friends too! Plus, you'll get out of the house & have a sense of accomplishment! You do whatever you gotta do! :) Good luck!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:59 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Go for it. If it's not illegal, then why not?
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:47 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• thanks to all of you. your answers helped a lot. i'm not sure if i would be embarrassed to tell my son i was a waitress at a bar. ..until next year...it is illegal. i said i have connections. i feel it'd be indecent because of my mom's view. she says because of the hours and because she feels as if i would have to flirt maybe a little too much in order to get tips. that's not my idea. i already told the owner i don't want anyone touching me or being disrespectful. but the uniform is a v-neck shirt and a mini. which i spoke to the owner about. i don't have the body for it, and don't feel comfortable being a mother, and a wife. my mom thinks the owner is trying to take advantage of me, but i think i know what i'm doing. now what do you say???
    x0x0mommyx0x0

Answer by x0x0mommyx0x0 at 11:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2008