What does it mean when my 2 y.o has a UTI??

Has anyone else's toddler had a UTI? What were the symptoms? How long does it last? Is this something serious b/c she's so young??

ang0343

Asked by ang0343 at 6:37 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is relatively common. It just means some bacteria got up there into her urinary tract. Has she been diagnosed by the Dr.? Usually it is just a round of antibiotics to clear it up. It is serious if you don't treat it as it can cause kidney damage.

My son had one at 6 & 9 mos. The symptom was a high fever with no other symptoms that I could see. They tested his urine, and then put him on anitbiotics.
    If this is her first one then there is probably no concern. My son was so young and he had 2 in a row that they sent us to a specialist and tested for Urinary Tract Reflux (the urine flows back up into the kidneys because a valve does not close properly). It turns out this was the cause for him. Only one infection in a 2 yr old is probablyl no big deal at all.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:10 PM on May. 18, 2009

• symptoms would be burning during urination, tching down there especially after they have just urinated...if you don't deal with it severe pains in the stomach and sides.
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 4:06 PM on May. 19, 2009

• In a 2 year old little girl I would definately check with my Dr. My 22 month old & 3 month old have both had UTIs. The 22 month old just had a VCUG test to see if she had VU reflux where the urin is going back into her kidneys. She does. This can be a potentially serious problem depending on the stage of reflux. Some reflux will fix itself other stages need surgery. If it is not dealt with it could cause kidney damage. I don't say this to alarm you, but just explaining why it is important to check with your Dr. My Dr. said because of being a girl & her age it was important to check for reflux if they were under 3 years. My 22 month old is taking a daily medication to reduce the UTI problem & we will retest for reflux in 1 year. If it hasn't fixed itself we may have to do surgery. She will see a urologist in July for a consultation. We are waiting to schedule the VCUG on my 3 month old to see if she has reflux.
    mdkleier

Answer by mdkleier at 12:28 AM on Jun. 22, 2009