What to do for an ear infection on a 1 year old?

I think that my 1 year old might have an ear infection. He has been fussy more and keeps rubbing his ears. I have been giving him baby Tylenol but is there anything else that I can do for him?

ahelliott143

Asked by ahelliott143 at 6:38 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Kids' Health

• If it was an ear infection you would know, to make sure try to touch his ear if he starts screaming then it is. Usually when a child has an ear infection they will scream nonstop. When a child is sick with the flu they rub their ears a lot, all you can do is keep giving him Tylenol and Motron the doctor told me you can mix and match them because they don't interfear with one another, Motron is to help the flu and Tylenol is to help with pain and fever. But if it is an ear infection go to the doctor for ear drops, but again it probably isn't an ear infection because he would be screaming.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 6:41 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Those sound exactly ear infection symptoms to me. You need to get it checked by the doctor.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:48 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Get him to the doctor so it can be properly cared for. If it's not bad enough to need antibiotics, he'll have other ideas for you. (warm sweet oil or olive oil helps soothe, but won't "cure") My concern would be that it get worse and worse to the point where it bursts.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:30 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Get him to a doctor for proper treatment. My son never cried or pulled on his ear with an ear infection, he would just get 106 degree temps, no other symptoms. So crying and pulling on the ear isn't always accurate. If you think your child is sick, then take him to the doctor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:47 PM on May. 18, 2009