How difficult is in being away from home 1st time in military?

My brothers new fiance called me about some problems they're having. I don't know what to tell her. I could only explain and give example of what I had been thru with my relationship that was similar to theirs.
I know it's his first time being away from home and he doesn't have family near him. He doesn't call as often as he used to. So I don't know what to tell her. I did tell ehr that maybe being away from home, friends and family can be stressful. And add on the fact that he's going to school and working , plus trying to spend time with her...
How did you cope with being away from everyone and everything you were used to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• This is my husband 3rd tour overseas...you just need to try to stay really busy! if he is stressed out because of work...school chances are he is stress about not seeing his family enough to. just let him know that your there for him and if he needs to talk can with you...try not to stress him out more my adding to the situation.
    soldierswife11

Answer by soldierswife11 at 7:20 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Absolutely, stay busy! The 1st deployment was more difficult on both of us than any other. I think for the 1st couple weeks I didn't want to move, just wanted to stay in bed. But HONESTLY if you can get out with friends, or take a class in an area you're interested in then you're going to see time flys by.
    prettylilrae

Answer by prettylilrae at 7:48 PM on May. 18, 2009

• he is not going to callas much as he used to...no military does unless its to their wife/kids/husband.

i am a military vet..married to a military man.
    it is going to be hard on both of them..she needs to be his support group and be more supportive than the average civilian wife.....he needs to be appreciative and loving like no other towards her...they need trust.....TRUST..is huge.they need good communication...and they both need to work hard. a military marriage is NOT easy....ive seen marriages of 15 years plus split cause fo the military...it is hard....the military is not built around the family, it is sbuilt around serving the country following orders and your family traiilng behind that......
    she HAS to become a stronger woman or she will get depressed.....one fo them will start cheating....fighting....she wont feel loved etc etc etc...military marriages are not easy. they need to work all of this out before marriage
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:55 AM on May. 19, 2009