Simplest way to build a volcano?

dd has to have one by thurs. morn. Was given assignment today, which I think is crazy. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get this done without weekend time to do it! Any suggestions? What works best, dough, dirt or newspaper?

sparrowprincess

Asked by sparrowprincess at 6:49 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Paper machay(I know thats not how you spell it but you get it) get three balloons, blow then to a nice size, not to big so they don't pop. Put two on the bottom and one on top(like a triangle) then start doing the glue and newspaper strips, let it dry then pop the balloons then paint it. That is how I did it in 6th grade. Also put a metal or plastic tube inside, like a paper towel roll but plastic. for the liquid to go in. I bought the tube at michaels for like $3, but then again that was like 7 years ago.
    Anonymous

• I had to do this for a project in 5th grade it was so much fun. My uncle built mine (it looked more like a mountain than a volcano) I would say you need a cardboard tube (from paper towel) use clay (brown, green or grey) and build around it. Use red dye, vinegar and an alkaseltzer (sp). Did I help any??
    Krystle21

Answer by Krystle21 at 6:55 PM on May. 18, 2009

• oh yeah mine we used newspaper and painted it green but other kids in my class used playdough and it looked better than mine. Mine was big, it took 2 ppl to carry it. And make sure its in a tray (like a tupperware bowl or lasagna pan)
    Krystle21

Answer by Krystle21 at 7:04 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I was at Michaels tonight (for my son's science project) and they have a lot of valcano stuff there. They are very helpful (and very smart) and can definately help you. Don't you hate those last minute assignments?
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 3:44 AM on May. 19, 2009

• You can also get ideas on the internet! Kid's science projects....volcanoes in particular.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:18 AM on May. 22, 2009