What would it take for YOU to call CPS on someone?

What will you tolerate, and what's your absolute limit?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 6:59 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• actual abuse
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:59 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I agree Actual Abuse! If a child has bruises on places where children don't normally get bruises, or if a child tells me personally that mommy or daddy beat them(and I see marks) then I would call!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 7:01 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Actually the ones who call CPS are not the "civilians" school administrators, employers, pastors, etc are the ones who make the calls.
    Anonymous

• Witnessing the physical abuse (beating) of a child.
    Extreme neglect or putting a child in extreme danger.
    Doing drugs or being drunk while caring for children.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:02 PM on May. 18, 2009

• when i see the parent beat the kid myself
    Anonymous

• I think I would have to have actual proof...I don't mean actually seeing any abuse but if I saw neglect, bruises, dangerous behavior, etc...I would call. But if it was just a feeling or suspicion I would be hesitant.
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 7:04 PM on May. 18, 2009

• OMG I thought I was the only one who felt this way. My mom's ex friend, I don't know how they do this, but she has 2 adult daughters(18 and 19) and the mom is on SSI(for bipolar) and foodstamps because she has two other kids under 18, then her adult kids live with her(no jobs) one has a child and is not in school and she is on SSI as well and foodstamps, then the other daughter is on SSI and foodstamps. But only 1 adult per house hold is allowed SSI and foodstamps, I don't know how the hell they get away with it, but they spend their money on getting their nails done, purses, nice shoes, a car!! OMG it drives me nuts!! I'm in college, two kids, my hubby works and does online school and we barely make it(we live on our own) and we cannot get foodstamps but these lazy asses can and they spend it on soda and candy!!! OMG I hate people like that!!UGH!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't.

If I were in a situation when I witness actual abuse I would tell the parent if I felt that strongly about it. Maybe help them clean up their house or go hang out with them to relieve stress. Calling CPS is sort of sneaky, don't you think we have responsibility to help others that might need help instead of getting others involved in the system?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:23 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I would absolutely have to see something, verbal abuse, physical abuse so that I can be sure of what I'm calling about. I did see several times a teacher at a local preschool singling out ethnic children and screaming at them. I emailed the director but never heard back.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:24 PM on May. 18, 2009

• It's called DFS here, so I think I'm talking about the same thing, but I called once. I was babysitting this womans kid while she was out of town, he was five years old, he had no clothes of his own, he smelled like pee, he was dirty as hell, he didn't eat solid food, there was curdled milk in his sippy cup, he was still in diapers, and he didn't know how to talk. They came to the house and saw his condition and do you know what they did? Nothing! It took eight other people calling, and eventually one night she left this five year old alone while she went to work and he crawled out through a window and was eating the neighbors trash. So the neighbors called the cops and the cops took him away from her. Turns out he was the second child to be taken away from this woman. So I guess I learned that instead of calling DFS when I suspect child abuse, I should call the cops.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 7:24 PM on May. 18, 2009