• In the Spotlight:

My 18 month old has Tonsillitis!

He was just dignoised earlier today and he was given an antibiotic shot. He is still super fussy and it seems like it is even worse. He has a fever still. He refuses to eat anything and now he refuses to drink. I was told to push liquids...but what do I do if he won't swallow it? I don't want him to get dehydrated. Any tips? Also, he took about a 2 minute nap followed by him waking and screaming for about 40 minutes and I couldn't do anything to get him to calm down. He has a follow up appointment with his doctor in the morning. Should I try to wait it out? Should I take him to the ER if it gets any worse? When should I stop waiting and just take him to the ER? I've never had this and neither has my hubby so I'm not sure what to do. I was hoping the shot would kick in really fast, but it's been 5 hours since he was given the shot and it's like he is getting worse.

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 7:07 PM on May. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• I've had tonsillitis twice (as a teen and as an adult) and it was excruciating. The antibiotics don't do anything for pain and when I had it as a teen I was prescribed pain killers. I couldn't swallow and if I did it was like someone was ripping my throat out. It brought me to tears every time (made it almost impossible to take the medication and I almost choked on a banana because I couldn't swallow). I couldn't talk and I could barely breath from the pain. I would call the ER or after hours service and ask what to do. You probably aren't going to get him to swallow anything.
    It was about 2 days before I started feeling better but it still hurt to swallow (but more like a regular sore throat). And that was while taking the pain killers (I think it was Tylenol 3).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:49 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Pushing liquids is important........but you may have to get creative in doing it. Popcicles may work, or slushies, jello, anything cold and numbing. Try to avoid dark red colored ones, though.
    Sit down and eat a popcicle, too..........sometimes that makes kiddos more interested.
    Just try to keep him comfortable until morning. Unless he spikes a fever that won't come down or is totally inconsolable with his crying, I don't think an ER visit is needed. Let them address the lack of fluids at your appointment tomorrow. And hopefully popcicles or slushies will work. :) I feel bad for the poor little guy. It is painful as heck!
    Foster_Mom

Answer by Foster_Mom at 10:27 PM on May. 18, 2009