How to keep him hydrated?!

My son has tonsillitis (however it's sppelled) and I can't get him to drink anything. I guess it hurts too much. He won't eat anything either (including popcicles). I have also tried forcing liquid in his mouth with a clean medicine dropper and he refuses to swallow it. I even tried blowing in his face like some1 told me too. He still spit it out. Any ideas? I don't want him to end up in the ER.

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 7:30 PM on May. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• How old? I was going to suggest the Pedialyte freezer pops.

Can you give him a little medicine cup with a tiny bit of water in it? Maybe make it like a game? What about (and I'm going out on a limb here) serve him some fruit cup or canned fruit, it has a bunch of sugar but it might be better than nothing....................or what about grapes or something like that?
    Anonymous

• He won't eat either. He spits our food and won't get near a popcicle (which is usually a huge treat for him). He is 18 months old.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 7:36 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Maybe gingerale in a full glass of ice, even watered down. With a straw or one of those twisty straws. Would he drink a milkshake? Pedialyte is good because it replaces some electrolytes. Would he sip broth? Jello? Look on the Chloroseptic bottle and see if he can have it at his age, that would numb his throat a bit. Ask his doctor for suggestions? Good luck.

Answer by Bmat at 7:39 PM on May. 18, 2009

• He doesn't know how to drink out of a straw. But, since he knows that somehow liquid goes through it he will not get near it. I have a feeling we r going to end up in the ER by the end of the night...He won't eat ice cream, so I doubt he will touch a milk shake. He won't get near jello either. He refuses to put anything in his mouth. It took me 45 minutes to get him to take a little tiny bit of his tylenol. I'm at my wits end.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 7:46 PM on May. 18, 2009

• when my son had his tonsils and adenoids taken out the only think that he would take was sorbet (sherbert wutever lol) and i would just keep saying ok just one more bite! lol and the cold eventually numbed his throat enough to where he didnt mind taking in some pedialyte- but try to get the unflavored one and do half pedialye half apple juice- all of my kids hated the taste of the flavored pedialyte so when i figured out to do that i never had another problem giving it to them- but if he doesnt take any fluids in 24 hours i would say go to the er because once he gets too dehydrated they will want to put him on iv fluids- that happened to my oldest when he was so sick he couldnt keep anything down as soon as water or juice hit his tongue he threw up- the dehydration in young kids is really dangerous- good luck and i hope he feels better!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 8:44 PM on May. 18, 2009

• oh and as for giving him tylenol- try the tylenol suppositories- that way he wont have to swallow it and it works faster to make him feel better
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 8:46 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Wet a washcloth and let him suck on it. It worked for my girls when they had pnumonia.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 9:24 PM on May. 18, 2009

• If nothing works, be careful. Know the signs of dehydration. I know no one like to take their babies to the ER but its always better to be safe than sorry.

www.babycenter.com/0_dehydration_11407.bc

Maybe this will help. Google it yourslef though.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:24 AM on May. 19, 2009