How long do people have to press charges

Ok so I just got off the phone with my mil and she told me her pitt got loose and tried to attack a little boy and that the police came to her house and told her to get rid of the dog and that the boys family might press charges. If they do press charges she has to got to jail and pay a big fine so how long does the boys family have to press charges??

aubrees_mommie

Asked by aubrees_mommie at 7:36 PM on May. 18, 2009 in Pets

• I think 2 years- 3 years
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:37 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Oh yeah it could even be a little longer
    itsallabtthem84

• They can wait that long to press charges
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 7:39 PM on May. 18, 2009

• She should have it put down, by the way i have 2 pits and if they ever tryed that they would be put down
    Anonymous

• First she has to be proactive now to head off further damages. Put the dog down immediately. Next check the statute of limitations for this offense in your stat/county. That will tell you exactly how long they have to press charges. Was the boy injurted? If so, she needs to offer to pay for the bills and apologize to them immediately. If she show compassion and remorse for the incident most decent people will not feel the need to press charges. At minimum she is probably in violation of leash laws. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• The child was not harmed physically but probably mentally she took the dog to the pound and she did apologize to the child and his family but the police said they will most likely press charges.

aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 10:03 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Tried to attack a child? According to who?

This is why we need to teach our kids about stray dogs and safety. The kid probably panicked and tried running. If the dog thought the kid was playing, he probably chased him and someone assumed the dog was a killer.

Anyways, I don't know much about the "pressing charges" thing, thankfully. Good luck to your mom. I hope everything works out for her & her dog, although we all know what the pound does with pitts...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:10 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I agree with ReneeK3 on this one!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:49 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I agree with ReneeK3. Pitts have a bad rep and people automatically assume they are all killing machines and its just not true. I know alot of people automatically say "put the dog down" but this was a loving pet, and they said "tried to attack" they didnt say it DID attack. It could have been playing. This kind of upsets me. People get bitten by chihuahuas and little poodles more often than people get bite by big dogs, why doesnt anyone put them down?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on May. 19, 2009

• "I agree with ReneeK3. Pitts have a bad rep and people automatically assume they are all killing machines and its just not true. I know alot of people automatically say "put the dog down" but this was a loving pet, and they said "tried to attack" they didnt say it DID attack. It could have been playing. This kind of upsets me. People get bitten by chihuahuas and little poodles more often than people get bite by big dogs, why doesnt anyone put them down? "

I AGREE WITH THIS!!! Ive found little dogs like chihuahuas and poodles to much more aggressive then pitbulls...all dogs like to play and because there big people automatically assume theyre a danger/threat and all they want to do is KILL KILL KILL...it has nothing to do with the breed of the dog but the way it was brought up and who owns it. This kid was probably an idiot and taunted it in the first place and then ran! And the dog probably thought yea lets play...
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 3:56 PM on May. 19, 2009